Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grain-Free, Potato & Tapioca Free Food

I'm looking for a grain-free, potato & tapioca free food for my senior girl who has had issues with yeast. She's been tested for thyroid and is ok. I'm looking at either Horizon Legacy, Dogswell Nutrisca or NutriSource Grain Free. Anyone use any of these and what did you think of them. Thank you

Re: Grain-Free, Potato & Tapioca Free Food

I just went through this with a dog with a systemic yeast infection. Bad ears, blackened skin, etc. I have been using the formula recommended by the Great Dane Lady (just Gogole)There are several good food recommendation there. But, you'll have to research which is easily obtainable for you. I use By Nature (fish with yougurt, or something like that. Not home to see the bag right now) I chose it because I can get it. After 5 months using this protocol, my dog is 100% better. And much happier. For treats, I use the dried chicken breast strips.No bisquits! The website describes the diet. The supplements are expensive to start (about $125), but SO worth it! Thyroid does have to be checked before you start. Read up! You may be dealing with a SYI, and not allergies.

I have read all the GDL's info and also the information on Nature's Farmacy. Had her thyroid checked and it is ok. GDL's site indicated no potatoes, sweet potatoes; and suggested the 3 foods that I'm checking on. I checked the By Nature food and it does have sweet potato in it. Thanks for your suggestion though. Glad to know it helped as I am going to follow her protocol just trying to make a decision on the food and had it narrowed to those three.

If you read all the info, it says that sweet potatoes are ok if it is at least the 5th ingredient. The amount is so small to not have any affect. The most important thing is to stick with it religiously. Nothing else that is not on the list. And give the suplements each day. It is amazing the difference I have seen in my dog.It is good news that her thyroid is fine. This treatment will not work otherwise.

Thank you so much. I missed the part about sweet potatoes being 5th on the list of ingredients. That makes a great difference. Did you start the supplements after you gradually switched foods or at the same time you started the switch? Wow, I'm so glad you responded. Thank you again.

I started the new food right away while I waited for the supplements to arrive (very fast!) Then I followed the exact protocol on the instruction sheet. It has worked so good for this dog. But she gets nothing else except what is allowed. So, now all my dogs get the dried chicke breasts as a treat. Costs more than bisquits, but not as much as the vet bills I had and the misdiagnosises. We are very happy now!

Post back here after a couple of moths and report how she is doing. Could help a lot of people who have been treating allergies that don't exist.

Taking her back to the vet today for a skin scrape to make sure it's systemic yeast and not pyoderma. I will let you know what we find out.

Seniors
Taking her back to the vet today for a skin scrape to make sure it's systemic yeast and not pyoderma. I will let you know what we find out.

Skin scrapes or punches tell the vet alot. If it's allergies or an auto-immune system problem. You're doing the right thing, so is the vet or veterinary dematologist. :-)