Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Still bleeding post whelp and spay?

I have a girl that is 10 weeks post whelp and 2 weeks post spay that still has bloody discharge. She's been to the vet multiple times and recently put on clavamox, but still bleeding. She acts fine, but I'm concerned. Any input would be appreciated. TIA

Re: Still bleeding post whelp and spay?

do yo mean a brownish bloody discharge or red blood?
Ive had girls discharge up to 2 months past whelp but it is usually dried blood mixed with the normal clear discharge.
Bright red blood would be a sign that something is not right.

Have the vets checked her clotting factors?? Given that she is spayed already my first thought of subinvolution of placental sites is out. Have a full lab panel run on her including kidney and liver functions. She may just need a shot of Vitamin K.

It's red(in color) discharge.

She had a full CBC ran last week and everthing came back normal.

I would be concerned they missed tying off an ovarian stump completely. If it doesn't stop soon, you might have to get the vet to go back in. Have they done an abdominal ultrasound to check for blood in there?

Is she bleeding from her abdominal incision, or from her vagina? Is it copious? Why the clavamox if she is bleeding, does she have an infection too? Why was she spayed only 8 weeks post whelping?

May I ask why she was spayed right after her whelping ? That is extremely dangerous thing to do.
A new Vet , a second opinion may be in order.

From what I can tell she was spayed when the puppies were 8 weeks old?

For me this is even a bit too early to spay a girl after a litter... my vet said the best time to spay would be when the pups are between 3 and 4 months of age.

I would also think about a "bleeder" or small blood vessel or a small amount of oozing from the uterine stump. Two weeks is not a lot of time post-op, and complete healing also depends on how quiet she was kept post-op. Two weeks or restricted activity is warranted after any spay surgery. In her case, the uterine stump was enlarged as she was 8 weeks post-whelp, so it is even more crucial that she be kept very quiet: crated or confined to a small area, no running, jumping,stairs, playing, etc.
The fact that her CBC was normal (the red blood cell count is most important in this scenario) says that the bleeding is not excessive, and is most likely not leaking into the abdominal cavity.
You would want to check her gums twice a day by lifting her lip to see how pink she is. If you see lighter mucus membrane color, seek veterinary care asap.
It may resolve on its own, but if this were my bitch I would keep her very quiet to allow everything to heal.
Remember, a spay is a major abdominal surgery. And there is no such thing as a "routine" surgery.
Good that you and your vet are communicating on this.
Let us know how she is doing!