Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When Pups are Due ??

Ok, this is for breeders who used to do natural breedings before progesterone testing was popular. I usually order my girl's semen and do my own AIS. I bred my boy to our girl by collecting him and inseminating our girl on 3 different days. Our boy is pretty good at telling when the girls are ovulating so I counted on him and how our girl was behaving. I just don't know how many days I should count out from the time I did her first AI. How does this work ?

Do I count 65 days from her first AI or what ?
Thanks for your help !!

Re: When Pups are Due ??

There is really no way to tell when she ovulated so you will just have to wait and see. I did this with my bitch last year. She was bred over a 5 day period and it was obvious when she went 5 days past her first due date that she didn't take with the first breeding. You will just have to be patient. This is how we did in back in the day.

In Iceland we normally do natural breeding. For me my girls normally had puppies on day 61 or 62 post natural breeding with out progesterone testing, but they have pups on day 63 from side by side AI with progesterone testing.

so is it best to start counting 63 days from the first AI I did or the last AI I did on her ? I did a total of 4 AI's, mostly consecutive days as I didn't want to miss her.

New to Side by Side..OP
so is it best to start counting 63 days from the first AI I did or the last AI I did on her ? I did a total of 4 AI's, mostly consecutive days as I didn't want to miss her.

I would count 63 days from the first breeding and be prepared a week in advance. However, I would not be worried, unless she presents with other complications, if she goes past those 63 days.

count from the first AI and the last and be prepared for either.

If you count 55-60 days from first breeding and then start taking temps 2x a day and track it, you'll KNOW when her temp drops as she readies for whelping. It's not that difficult even if you ARE guessing.

All this makes me wonder what we did before stud dogs shipped semen to us. hahaha I can't imagine shipping my girls out to the stud but I guess that was the way to do things back in the day.