Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppies with pronounced lines of nostril

come of my puppies have pronounced lines (one on each side) of nostril going up.

does anyone know what this is

Re: puppies with pronounced lines of nostril

breeder
come of my puppies have pronounced lines (one on each side) of nostril going up.

does anyone know what this is

This is probably a cleft lip, and more than likely, also a cleft palate. Have you looked at the palates? If it is just cleft lips, they can live a fairly normal life. But, if the palates are cleft, you will probably have to euthanize. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Happened to me once too.

Are you talking about something on the nose or something on the lip? Because when you described it, it certainly didn't make me think of a cleft lip.

me
Are you talking about something on the nose or something on the lip? Because when you described it, it certainly didn't make me think of a cleft lip.

Really? Sounded exactly like a cleft lip to me, and probably with a cleft palate. What does it sound like to you? Although, maybe by "lines" she meant just a mark in the fur? In that case, it's probably not a cleft. But, the clefts I have seen, especially the "double" clefts, look like a line or cut on each side of the nostril.

First thing I would ask is have they been seen by a vet. If you are worried that would be the first place they should go. Not take someones answer here as gospel.

Well, that is a given, I would hope. They would have to go to the vet to be euthanized, so I would think the vet would check before doing that.

they are a little over 5 weeks;

the lines are in the fur going up. Most puppies have these lines, but these lines seem to be deeper, more pro-nounced.

Its not a celft lip or palet or whatever, the vet saw them when he did the c-section

I've seen these lines on young puppies, and I wondered, too, what they would end up looking like. They filled out as the pup grew and weren't noticeable as adults.

Don't worry!

Can you post a photo?

Wag The Dog (1)
I've seen these lines on young puppies, and I wondered, too, what they would end up looking like. They filled out as the pup grew and weren't noticeable as adults.

Don't worry!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I had to wonder if if was turning into a worry wort or what.

I have been breeding for a little over 10 years, and this litter is nice from top lines on both sides.

I wondered about the pronounced facial lines, why so noticeable.

I took a look at some of my puppy pics in the past, and some the facial lines are there, but not quite as pronounced.

Also, took a look at some of the known breeders puppy pics, and their also had the same lines.