Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ID Collars for my puppies

Does anyone know who has the best collars for identication for 6 week old puppies?

Re: ID Collars for my puppies

I micro-chipped my last litter at this age, because they kept removing each others collars!

Never had an issue with ribbon collars. Even if 1 or 2 fell off, I am pretty anal about knowing which pup is which, even with the litter being all the same color.

Me too, used 1/4" ribbons for over 20 years from birth till time to go home. You have to stay on top of them and change every few days but always worked great for us.

colored velcro works good for my group. I buy mine at Walmart and cut to size, but there is a company that makes them http://www.pupcolors.com/ I nkow lots of breeders that love them.

I've been using the litterband brand for several years now-- no complaints here! They last for ~4 litters and wash up well. http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/344387/catid/131/vname/LITTERBANDS_Puppy_Collars

We tattoo our puppies, so its really easy to identify.

since we microchip at 8 weeks I would not want to put the pups through tattooing. I use to do it 20 years ago, but found it useless since there is no data base to keep track of the numbers so only good for your records.

I have been using poster paint on my puppies for a lot of years. The first dab goes on when they are still damp. I have to refresh regularly, but it is kinda fun. Even so, I think I will try a bunch of the pupcolors. They sound like fun too.

I use embroidery thread (floss).....which is 6 strands of a cotton thread twisted together. It comes in a variety of colors. I change the collars every week and have never had a problem. The threads are hidden in the fur around the neck and will break easily if tugged on.... so as not to strangle the pup.

Zig zag ribbon or silly bands.

I use zig zag (rik rack) ribbon too, they stay tied nicely, much better than flat ribbon. I have 3 sets that are different lengths for different stages of growth. If you melt the ends of the ribbon with a lighter they won't unravel and can be washed in a laundry bag for delicates and reused. I buy the ribbon on cards that have 2.5 yards on each.

The velcro collars sound great if they aren't too heavy. Velcro can sometimes get clogged with dog hair making it not stick as well and when that happens a dog comb can be used to remove the stuck dog hair from the hook portion.