Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heart question

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of dogs who have had or can they even get arythmia?

Re: Heart question

The dog now has a pace maker.

An abnormal heart rhythm, yes, they can. It can be in combination with another problem, like TVD, or be a disease in itself like in boxer cardiomyopathy. My dog with TVD has had episodes of tachycardia (too fast).

Yes that is what he is having at more intervals now, at least once a day, that I witness. Then he is OK. Have had bloodwork and urinalysis done, nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes it is very quick, lasting only a few minutes and other times lasting 20 to 30 minutes before he comes back to me. This is a 6 mo. puppy.

That's really worrying since something like that could be fatal. My vet was as worried about the tachycardia as about the bad valve. Carrie's was as a puppy. Her episodes were not that frequent. I haven't notice any episodes after about 1 year of age. Of course the TVD is still there and getting worse, but at least no racing heartbeat. I'm not sure what the other causes of it might be beyond a congenital defect.

Has he had an echo done yet? I'd get him to a cardiologist for a consultation quick.

Best of luck.