General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lepto outbreak

FYI:

http://news.msu.edu/story/9952/

10-27-11
EAST LANSING, Mich. — More than 20 cases of the life-threatening bacterial infection leptospirosis have been reported in Detroit-area dogs in the past three weeks, according to Michigan State University’s Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health.

Experts at the MSU center, a service unit of the College of Veterinary Medicine, diagnosed the specific strain of the disease, which can cause fatal damage to dogs and can be transmitted to humans.

In most cases, the dogs were not vaccinated against leptospirosis, or they had an uncertain vaccination history. Because this particular type of leptospirosis is associated with contact with rats, stray dogs are typically thought to be at highest risk.

“What is particularly unusual about this outbreak is that the dogs affected are not stray animals, but people’s pets,” said Carole Bolin, director of the Diagnostic Center. “Unfortunately, we expect to see more cases, and this is a very dangerous type of leptospirosis. Many veterinarians have never seen this type in dogs because it was markedly reduced by vaccination.”

Bolin and her team performed diagnostic testing and identified the particular strain of infection as icterohaemorrhagiae, which can cause severe disease in humans and animals. It is commonly carried by rats but also can be transmitted dog-to-dog or dog-to-human. Bolin is aware of nine dogs that died or were euthanized as a result of the disease, but there may be others.

“The Diagnostic Center became involved because of our experience, expertise and our desire to help the public,” Bolin said. “Our diagnosis helped identify this relatively rare strain, and the samples we tested will provide teaching tools for our students and residents so they will recognize this disease in the future.”

Leptospirosis spreads by infected wild and domestic animals. The bacteria (leptospira) that infects these animals can reside in their kidneys, and the host animal may or may not appear ill. They contaminate their environment with living leptospira when they urinate. Pets can become infected by sniffing this urine or by contacting standing water that becomes contaminated by rain and water runoff.

The bacteria spread rapidly through an animal’s blood stream, usually causing fever, depression and vomiting. The bacteria also attack the liver and kidneys, which can lead to organ failure.

“This is a very serious, rapidly progressing type of leptospirosis in dogs,” Bolin said. “Dogs can appear normal one day and be severely ill the next day. People can become infected, so this also is a threat to animal owners, caretakers and veterinarians.”

In the 1980s, Bolin’s mentor Alex Thiermann conducted studies on the high leptospirosis prevalence in the rat and dog population in Detroit. Leptospirosis caused by icterohaemorrhagiae was identified as a cause of human cases and as a common infection in rats and stray dogs. The prevalence of leptospirosis dropped significantly after the conditions predisposing to large rat populations were corrected.

Also, a leptospirosis vaccine was routinely administered to dogs, greatly diminishing the number of cases. As cases of disease in dogs decreased and because of the vaccine’s potential for adverse reactions, vaccine use diminished and it no is longer given to all dogs. However, Bolin said this outbreak demonstrates that leptospirosis remains a significant risk for dogs.

“There is something we can do now to prevent this disease and that is to vaccinate,” she said. “Dog owners need to contact their veterinarian to get more information regarding vaccination.”

Re: Lepto outbreak

Thanks so very much for passing this on. I have a couple dogs placed in MI, so I made sure to pass this info on to their owners.

What's the best place to get VANGUARD L4? Is that the best vaccine to get for this? It does cover L. icterohaemorrhagiae, as well as Leptospira canicola, L. grippotyphosa, and L. pomonaand L. pomona. Any place sell single doses?

If your dog has never had a Lepto vaccine in the past your Vet would most likely recommend a series of two Lepto vaccines spaced 2-3 weeks apart and then boostered annually. In Rhode Island Lepto is on the rise....our most recent cases were diagnosed in a couple of little "Lap dogs" that just go out to potty. It is transmitted via the urine of an infected animal such as squirrels,rodents and other wild life. So all your dog has to do is sniff the ground where and infected animal has urinated and they can become infected. Lepto can cause kidney and liver failure if not treated.

After I shared the above info with a breeder friend, she gave me the link to this article:

Smoke and Mirrors/ The Leptospirosis Vaccine
by: Patricia Jordan DVM
March/April 2010 Issue

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/leptospirosis-vaccine/

The only place I've been able to reliably order the Vanguard L-4 from is Lambert. They will give breeder discounts. Last time we ordered a tray of 25 was ~$120 (I figure ~$5.50 per dose w/ Fedex charges). My vet will also sell single doses of it to me for $10 ea. I've never had a reaction w/ this product, btw, but always give it separately.

Also, be sure to always read the label. Vanguard's label states a 3-4 wk interval between doses and that includes other vaccines as well, so if you need to do bordetella or anything else, it's wise to plan in advance. The Pfizer vet on staff was very helpful when I called them once for clarification.

valwhalen

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/leptospirosis-vaccine/

Well, that vet lost me after saying Lepto is easily treatable. Then goes on to say that parvo pups that aren't vaccinated usually recover the best. No they usually die.

Wackidoodle....

anon

Well, that vet lost me after saying Lepto is easily treatable. Then goes on to say that parvo pups that aren't vaccinated usually recover the best. No they usually die.

Wackidoodle....

Just thought I'd pass the link on. Only gave it a passing read.

I guess..... I meant to read it but you saved me some time I'd never get back. :(

PS. I had a 7 yo male in a pet home in LA county die (actually PTS w/o diagnosis) very quickly w/ identical symptoms to Lepto about a week ago, and am so frustrated I could spit nails right now w/ that vet. Does anyone know if they have had cases down there? None of their pets have been vacc'd, vet said it wasn't a problem due to the dryness (yet we have seen it here where I am-- also very dry/desert). And yes, they have coons, rats, etc. No necropsy done.