Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
infected webbing in the foot

I have a dog who has an issue with the web area of her foot becoming infected. This happens 2-3 times a year, it's not seasonal and there are no thorns etc in the foot. It has happened on both front feet and lancing with a course of antibiotics clears it up.

Our vet has seen it in other breeds and this past time that we went to see him he suggested a possible immune system weakness? She has ABSOLUTELY no other symptoms of anything else going on.

Anyone else see this in any of their dogs?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: infected webbing in the foot

Google canine interdigital cysts.

may start with yeast infection

I actually know a friend with a Lab who has the very same thing, and its because hes allergic to grass. I have suggested a epsom salt and water solution for him, and it has worked tremendously well.

It does sound like possible interdigital cysts but it could be something else. It's not the same area all the time, correct? Does it repeat in the same spots?

Better to rule out footing for example before assuming anything. What type of footing is your dog on mostly, especially when outdoors? Did you put down new flooring indoors? Do you have a kennel or does your dog live indoors and go outdoors on grass or something else? As Jan mentioned an allergy to grass solution, *if* it's not an interdigital cyst I would wonder if there is something else abrasive or that the dog is sensitive to that could be causing this.

Your vet didn't have a name for what he thinks it is or what the auto immune disease could be? I would bring pen and paper next visit and ask for further information. He sounds a bit vague or did you not understand some medical words he used? If so, have him write them down and explain further. Which antibiotic cleared up the *infection* and was anything else given to the dog for pain or inflammation?

Thanks for your thoughts/follow up questions. Never happens on the back feet, always on the webbing between the outside and second to outside toe of either front foot.

Primor tabs for 2 weeks, nothing else is ever given. Sometimes we do an Ichthammol bandage and that works well, also.

Our vet's comment regarding the immune system weakness was an aside as we were leaving, something to explore if this keeps happening.

She is an indoor dog, we live in a sandy area. She plays ball pretty hard, sometimes churning up the sand pretty well! We have switched to playing on the grass, doesn't seem to matter one way or the other. Carpet inside is not new. Assume the Ichthammol would draw out a sand spur or thorn so that is probably not a cause?

The interdigital cyst info was interesting. I may start looking at trimming the hairs around the web areas, see if that helps.

Anyway, thanks again.

I want to point out that autoimmune disease is caused by an overactive (or maybe more accurately, an inappropriately active) immune system, not by a weak immune system. Your vet presumably was suggesting the latter, not the former.

It sounds like the medication and wrap for the foot is good for the problem. Your vet seems to be treating it properly.

Any chance you have sand fleas in the sandy area that could be biting her? I know it's an outside thought or chance. A few friends of mine that live in coastal, sandy areas have had sand fleas invasions but not just on the feet. They get it specially in the warmer weather. Has it ever looked like a flea or other time of bug or spider bite?

I would be probably leaning towards interdigital cysts if it were my dog but it's always good to rule out anything else.