Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Westminster Show

How difficult is it to get an entry selected to go to Westminster? It's been my dream since childhood. Is there a mad rush to get the enteries in the mail? Are there way more enteries sent than they accept? What is the number of dogs for any particular breed that will be shown?

Re: Westminster Show

From my very limited knowledge, I can tell you that there is no set number of dogs per breed, but a total dog limit accepted. That said, they do send out invitations to a set number of dogs in each breed (top 10,20,25, something like that). I believe there is a deadline to accept the invitation. After that, they open entries to all champions of record. Once the total dog limit is reached, no more entries are accepted. I believe they accept on line entries, but I'm not sure. I vaguely remember some kind of hoopla over that awhile ago.

I think they might do a lottery system for the dogs that enter after the invited dogs entry closes, so you can enter and not find out if you got in until later.

Got the premium in the mail the other day, you can enter anytime starting I believe Nov. 16, online or by mail, up until the closing day which is in Dec,I forget the exact day. Once entries close, after the invited dogs, entries received are randomly selected up until the maximum is met. If it is your dream then it is worth trying, I have always gotten in when I have entered in the past and once I entered two dogs hoping at least one would get in, and both got in. If you do not get in your entry fee is refunded. You are only allowed to enter once, if you enter more than once all your entries are voided. Good luck! It was a dream of mine too, after the first time I went just to watch! Just be aware though, they are rennovating Madison Square Garden so the usual benching setup will not be possible, it was like this last year and I heard it was a nightmare. Also the total entry this year is only 2,000 as opposed to the usual 2,500 due to lack of space from the construction.

JMHO but after seeing the chaos there in previous years & the exhaustion of handlers, dogs, owners....it's not something I'd ever enter a dog in again. Hopefully with the renos, a lot of the space issues will be alleviated and things will improve. Good luck!