Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wireless fencing

I did a search using "wireless fence" and "wireless fencing" on this forum and didn't find any discussions on this topic, although I'm pretty sure I've seen some in the past...

My boss is looking for a portable wireless fence system to use at their winter vacation home in Palm Springs, CA. He will likely need two units, one on each side of the house to separate the backyard and front yard to keep their Labrador, "Mac", in the backyard. I'm going to start my Google search next, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has any suggestions about what is good and/or bad about certain systems. What features do I want to be sure to get and what do I want to stay away from? Any helpful information you can offer would be very appreciated!

Thank you.

Re: Wireless fencing

Try doing a search and/or researching "invisible fence". Good luck!

Keep in mind the fence is only as good as the installer, brand name and most important the batteries in the collar. Pay cheap - get cheap.

AND if doesn't keep other critters from coming IN.

And that includes both deer and the mountain lions who
hunt them in southern CA.

I'm also confused by the term "portable" wireless fencing. Does anyone know what that includes?

A-ha! The "invisible fence" search was much more productive. Thanks CM!

I appreciate all the comments thus far. I also recall a comment about a dog that did happen to run through the "fence" after a neighborhood cat, and then wasn't able to get back into its own yard.

Thanks again!

Hi Kate, by "portable" I mean something where they wouldn't have to install wires on the property. Since this is a winter vacation rental, they cannot install underground wires, or make any permanent installations. He said he found a system that appeared to have two units you could mount on a (temporary) post on either side of the yard that read each other, similar to the "eyes" on automatic garage door openers is my guess. I'm still working on my Google search. I looked at "Invisible Fence", but they all seem to require underground wire. I'm going to look at the Innotek product next.

Thanks!

I think what you are looking for is a PetSafe Wireless Instant Dog Fence.

Home Depot / Lowes / Petco usually carry them.

Kate Fulkerson, PhD
And that includes both deer and the mountain lions who
hunt them in southern CA.

I'm also confused by the term "portable" wireless fencing. Does anyone know what that includes?

There are around 95 small *Panthers* which are the equivalent of a *Mountain Lion* in the state of Florida last time I checked. They don't weigh much more than our labradors and males stand about the height of the male labrador standard. There are many more even smaller *Bobcats* and *Pumas* than *Panthers*. All are rarely seen and are in seculsion with a rare siting. They're usually deceaed when seen, hit by a car late at night. The *Panthers* are an endangered species in the far south, heading towards the Florida Keys. Snakes of course, Deer & Gators are around, depending on where in the state.

A winter vacation rental is usually somewhere on coastal Florida and probably has few to none of these *Cats*.

The portable, wireless fencing was already explained. They may have a hard time finding or having it installed and if they do, it's going to be expensive. I hope not though.

Coleriver
Hi Kate, by "portable" I mean something where they wouldn't have to install wires on the property. Since this is a winter vacation rental, they cannot install underground wires, or make any permanent installations. He said he found a system that appeared to have two units you could mount on a (temporary) post on either side of the yard that read each other, similar to the "eyes" on automatic garage door openers is my guess. I'm still working on my Google search. I looked at "Invisible Fence", but they all seem to require underground wire. I'm going to look at the Innotek product next.

Thanks!

http://www.hitecpet.com/yardbarrier.html

&

http://www.hitecpet.com/soundbarrier.html

http://www.tractorsupply.com/petsafe-reg-wireless-pet-containment-system-reg--3691258

I think the above it what you are interested in. I have no personal experience, but a friend that owns one swears by it. The only concern is the wireless boundry is sent in one direction/height from the transmitter. So if you have a large hill, it may not be low/high enough for the receiver to receive the 'shock'.

Very interesting about portable wireless and sound based.
Florida girl, the OP posted about Palm Springs, California--not Florida.

When I lived in town, my neighbor's ACD routinely ran
through his invisible fence to my house to play with my dogs. So I am not impressed by claims of safety. Fortunately, we did not live on a busy street.

The risk of dangerous animal and deer entry into the fence is very real in Palm Springs CA, which is near wild protected areas. I have a friend who lives there and will not run on the trails nearby because of the potential for mountain lions attracted by the abundant
deer population. There are several reported stories about runners being attacked by mountain lions in CA, one who lost her face. CA has a website about wild animals in various areas of the state that your friend might want to check.
www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/lion.html

At the very least, do not leave a dog unattended outside.

I would hope people living in those areas would know better. I don't leave my pups in a double or triple x-pen unattended for even 1 minute. A hawk could swoop down and grab a pup even at 8 weeks and 20#.

It's the pup buyers that need to know this and they don't normally read this board. Instructions should go home with them about leaving pups or dogs outdoors if they live in that type of area. I discuss leaving pups or dogs alone outdoors with all of my buyers. Alot depends on where they live and what type of area is fenced. I do not advocate invisible fencing. I don't particularly like it for many reasons for my dogs.

I would think the breeders do know better. The breeders with kennels have sides and tops on them and many do leave them a full day while working able to go in and outdoors within their kennels. As I don't have a kennel, I let me dogs in their fenced area many time during the day and I don't stand out their with them everytime. I don't live near lions, tigers and bears oh my.

OP did, the Fla family vactioners or you find a portable system yet?

If wild cats really want to enter a yard even with a actual fence structure they can! They can jump over 10 feet vertically.
I think if your problem is a dog who roams or a traditional fence is not an option, in-ground and wireless work very well.
I have family who are not allowed to fence their yards because of association rules. They have used theirs successfully for 7 years.

Truly wild animals can jump into a hard fence
area or they can simply walk across an invisible
fence. Which do you think is more likely?

The problem with invisible fencing lies with the
owners who simply open the door and let the dog outside unsupervised. I would rather have an owner who exercises the dog than one who puts the dog outside unsupervised--in whatever kind of fence they use.

To me fencing is about preventing dogs from escaping through open doors, providing a safe area to play with and train dogs, separating dogs, keeping dogs out of unsafe or landscaped areas of the yard, and keeping away unwanted visitors (either animal or human). Hard fencing is ideal for these purposes. Invisible fencing
is a poor second.