Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Girl in whelp meds ears.

My stud dog was used a while back and the lady called and said yes, in whelp, but the Dr. put her on Cephalexin for her ears and a cream Miconazole. Is that all safe ? She would be about 28 days alone.
Please let me know.

Re: Girl in whelp meds ears.

Absolutely NO on the Miconazole! I wouldn't touch my girl in whelp with a steroid! IDK about the antibiotic either. I think I'd just keep the ears clean with a simple ear wash(no meds included) and wipe them out daily with a cotton ball and swabs. Not uncommon for their ears to get a little dirty when in whelp. Steroids can be the cause of cleft palates.

El
Absolutely NO on the Miconazole! I wouldn't touch my girl in whelp with a steroid! IDK about the antibiotic either. I think I'd just keep the ears clean with a simple ear wash(no meds included) and wipe them out daily with a cotton ball and swabs. Not uncommon for their ears to get a little dirty when in whelp. Steroids can be the cause of cleft palates.

I'm glad someone told her and if she had searched the board a breeder has posted about steroids during pregnancy. It's not a pretty story.

Honestly, isn't this what repro vets are there for? There's always 2nd opinions too.

OP. Do a search about steroids or medications during pregnancy. You'll get your answers.

Miconazole is an antifungal drug that will cause malformations in the fetuses. It is not an steroid, but can come in combination with steroids in otic ointmements.

I would not use that vet ever again. This is basic information any vet must know.

Yes that is true it is an antifungal and I oopsed on that, but I knew I had read that it is a no-no(my parents' dog had the ear med you were speaking of) as are steroids during pregnancy. Thank you for clarifying Breeder 24. I would be running from that vet too!