Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worried about puppy buyer...please help

I have been contacted by a nice lady who wants a puppy but lives in an apartment. She needs to have several forms filled out by my vet and seems in a very emotional time of her life.
She lives in Palo Alto, Ca.
I feel sorry for her but do have some concerns.
She told me she was supposed to get a puppy a few weeks ago and the breeder sold her puppy to another person which hurt her very much as she was all ready for her new family member.
Is there more to this story?
Please, if you are the breeder who did not sell her a puppy for a reason unknown yet to me, let me know. I don’t want to hurt this woman. So, I’d rather know if there a skeleton in the closet now.
She found both of us on the NLRC web site and speaks with an accent.

Re: Worried about puppy buyer...please help

Run! If you are feeling even the slightest twinge of doubt, cancel the sale. I know this sounds harsh, but the good lord gave women intuition for a very good reason,(and if you are not a woman, then you are just getting in touch with your feminine side) and you will be kicking yourself in the butt forever after if you ignore your gut feelings. By the way, does she own the apartment? I don't sell puppies to anyone that does not own their home. Landlords change their minds, or sell, or whatever, and now it's time to "get rid" of the dog.

Post your email address and Im sure who ever denied her will be in contact with you.

Why not ask her who the breeder was and why they would do that.

If you have red flags going up - then trust your gut

JMHO but when in doubt for any reason....do not place a pup. You'll sleep better.

Don't know where your from in relation to Palo Alto but from what you've written, sounds like a tearful, perhaps out of state, buyer with an accent, telling a sob story. To me,it sounds like someone trying to play on your sympathy to run a potential scam.

It's kind of like the Herman Cain story, I'm thinking where there's smoke there's fire. It's never so important to me to make a sale, that I'd be willing to take any risk if I've thought that something doesn't pass the sniff test.

It's just my gut but I certainly wouldn't be placing a puppy under these circumstances. Take the high road on behalf of your puppy, the right family will come along.

How the heck did Herman Cain come into this thread?

Sometimes smoke is from a smoke and mirrors show.

ha ha, where there's smoke your bound to find children playing with matches.

I would tell her she may be better off finding a local breeder that can help her with her unique situation.

As someone who does tons of puppy rescue work, I thought that I would offer advice.

Um, run....... Don't feel sorry for her. Her story may be legit but your precious little puppy could be getting caught up in something screwy!! If she is emotionally "off" then she is probably not ready for a puppy. And may, in fact, be using the puppy as some kind of security blanket. When it gets her up at night, pees on the carpet and chews her Ferragamos, the honeymoon's gonna be over and your little one is stuck in the middle.

Keep to those families who are willing to go the distance with a puppy. And there are plenty of those people out there. You don't "owe" this woman a puppy, you "owe" your puppy the perfect, balanced home.

Good Luck!!

There is allot more to this story. Please contact me privately and I will fill you in. I would not make any commitments to this person without this information to make your decision.

Yep, I would say run also. When there is too much of a story something is wrong. They don't take it lightly when you turn someone down. But agree, if you have a bad feeling, don't go there. Poor pup.

Run. Fast. Don't look back.
Whenever I've had the overly emotional buyers contact me, and I fell for it, I've regretted it. They were lifetime PITAs at best.

windycanyon
Run. Fast. Don't look back.
Whenever I've had the overly emotional buyers contact me, and I fell for it, I've regretted it. They were lifetime PITAs at best.

The OP had the breeder post with her email address. She will tell her the truth. I doubt she's even reading this. She's better off speaking to the person that knows the story and lived it. That's what she was looking for. Enough said.