Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food Regurgitation?

I have a 7-week old boy who occasionally regurgitates a meal. Not every time, but once in a while. He seems to gulp down a meal, only to have it regurgitated, which he eats and is then fine.

I have tried separating him from the rest of the litter in the hopes that less competition for the meal would slow him down. That works most of the time, but not always. I have tried more soaking, less soaking, with varying results. This is, of course, my pick male going to a potential show home and I am hoping this isn't anything serious.

If you have had experience with this, I would love to hear about your outcome and possible solutions.

Thanks so much!

Re: Food Regurgitation?

Sounds like it may be Megaesophagus to me, your vet can rule it out for you.

You should take him to the vet to get a series of x-rays to determine if he has mega-esophagus. It shouldn't cost much and only 2-3 x-rays are needed. He'll be given a contrast liquid and it'll show in the x-ray. If his esophagus forms a sac at the end, right before the stomach when fed, then unfortunately he has mega-esophagus. Have him neutered once he is old enough and he can have a normal life with some adjustment with his meals.

If the x-rays are normal, then he needs to slow down when eating.

Good luck.

Mega esophogus starts as PRAA which is persistant right aortic arch, which means when his heart was developing the first vessel formed that grows over the esophogus did not dissolve naturally and therefore turned into a tendon that can constrict the esophogus when food is trying to pass through, if not managed properly this in turn can turn into mega espophogus. I had a puppy diagnosed at 4 weeks of age due to regurgitation on occassion. She is now a healthy 3 year old girl living with a mindful mom who keeps her kibble at oatmeal consistency and small treats. She did not have surgery as it is very invasive. Try making is food muchy and see if this helps with his issue. I would also get him to the vet for a diagnosis. Good luck. My uppy of corse was pick bitch as well.

We have had several megaesophagus puppies in rescue over the years.It is my understanding that it is congenital but not genetic--although I am only going by what the surgeons told us over the years. The last, adopted by a friend from another rescue, was the most successful one, as she did not have PRAA when they got in there, but DID have a band of tissue that had to be snipped, and the megaesophagus had developed somewhat later than your pup. It was an expensive surgery, but the little girl recovered very well and went from a skeletal 4 mo old to a strong, healthy agility dog with many titles and MACH points in less than a year and a half of trials. The fact that surgery was done relatively early helped, but even earlier would have been better, in her milder case. OTH, Holly was a Chrismas puppy from the farms in PA, and she had a severe case, so bad that the caring adopters decided with the complications of it to avoid surgery. She lived until about age 3, finally succumbing to pneumonia in spite of care at teaching institutions throughout her life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone not prepared for it--and I don't think the adopters would do it again.

Get a contrast x-ray to rule it out and by all means feed the pup a slurry from a raised bowl in the meantime. Eukanuba weaning formula can work fairly well. It must be gruel like, and sometimes even water has to be thickened or gelatinized to prevent aspiration--each case is different. I have stopped taking in these pups, as they can be heart breakers, and quite expensive. The one my friend took was the one I told her to avoid, saying, "Don't take the runty pup." In the end, she chose the personality she liked, and they are a perfect match. I am just glad the surgery was so successful.

So my message is a mixed one. I wouldn't euthanize one, but play it as it goes, doing surgery if possible and if indicated.My friend's pup was done by a very good surgeon at a specialty practice in Fairfield, NJ. My friend made batches of ground food--ground chicken was too thick unless blenderized--and added a puppy supplement powder from the Show Stopper line. Her girl has done very well.