Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potomac showing

How many people plan to enter and show in breed, obedience, and rally at the upcoming Potomac? I've just noticed on the AKC website that the venues are in different parts of town, no longer at one show site.

Re: Potomac showing

we will be there!

Are you talking about the spring specialty? Can you link to where you saw that? Thank you!

Taken from the AKC event calendar:

APRIL 10 - TUESDAY
MD Frederick (I)
LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB OF THE POTOMAC
Breakaway Action Dogs
900 E. Patrick St.
CLOSES: MARCH 28
MB-F Inc., SUPT
FEE: $33.00
Mrs. N. K. Withers: Nov A, Nov B, Open A, Open B, Util A, Util B

APRIL 11 - WEDNESDAY

MD Frederick (I)
Breakaway Action Dogs
900 E. Patrick St.
MB-F Inc., SUPT
Mrs. N. K. Withers: Nov A, Nov B, Open A, Open B, Util A, Util B

APRIL 12 - THURSDAY

MD Frederick (I)
Breakaway Action Dogs
900 E. Patrick St.
MB-F Inc., SUPT
Mrs. M. Baird: Nov A, Nov B, Open A, Open B, Util A, Util B

APRIL 13 - FRIDAY

MD Frederick (I)
Breakaway Action Dogs
900 E. Patrick St.
MB-F Inc., SUPT
Mrs. M. Baird: Nov A, Nov B, Open A, Open B, Util A, Util B, Veteran

OMG! I did a Mapquest & this is on the other side of town. How will exhibitors that want to show in both Breed and Obedience/Rally be able to truck back and forth and make their classes?

I'm going to have to decide which venue I want to enter.

Well, it will help those of us whose intact obedience dogs go wacky around girls in season, anyway......

I would be disappointed if this is the case. I don't understand how it would even feel like you were competing at the "Potomac"

Is it going to be an all-breed competition?

Maybe someone from the club could comment?

This is the first time I've heard about any of this.

wow!
Well, it will help those of us whose intact obedience dogs go wacky around girls in season, anyway......

There are always some inconsiderate people who allow their attractive females to foul the obedience areas. However, there are also those obedience people who do not train thoroughly, too. The objective of AKC Obedience is to demonstrate the dogs' training and willingness to perform under all conditions. "The basic objective of obedience trials, however, is to recognize dogs that have been trained to behave in the home, in public places, and in the presence of other dogs, in a manner that will reflect credit on the sport of obedience at all times and under all conditions."

Please say it isn't so. As someone who often competes in conformation and obedience/rally at the same show with multiple dogs, I would be extremely disappointed if I had to make the choice to only do one or the other because of events being held at different sites.

LRCP members were sent an email recently, and this sentence caught my eye:

"Obedience and Rally at the 2012 specialty will be held at an indoor venue with 4 trials each."

So the information posted may in fact be correct, unless the host hotel is allowing trials indoors

Everyone take a deep breath. Don't you think this experienced Club would schedule these things on seperate days, so all dogs could participate in any venue the owner chooses ??? I mean , I'm just making a wild guess here, but seriously think about it?

breeder
Everyone take a deep breath. Don't you think this experienced Club would schedule these things on seperate days, so all dogs could participate in any venue the owner chooses ??? I mean , I'm just making a wild guess here, but seriously think about it?

Have you ever BEEN to Potomac? Lately the show starts Monday and ends Friday, so when exactly would the performance events be? There are no "separate" days! Unless you want a whole 'nother week...

I would probably have something for obedience, but I would not miss the conformation to cross town for obed. Are there some of you who would want to do that?

How do we pack up, go to the other side of town and not miss a conformation class? I don't see how it is possible to do. It's impossible to do without missing a class.

This is good only for breeders that have entries only in conformation or only in obedience-rally. If you have both, you're a sunk ship.

I also prefer outdoor not indoor.

If an obedience exhibitor is staying in the host hotel they have to pack up daily to go to the other side of Frederick. Maybe they could have found a cheaper hotel that is closer? The purpose of the host hotel is to be right there for everything. We just walk out the door which makes it worth over $150 a nite for some.

This is a mess for anyone showing in both venues. Jmho.

Breeder
breeder

Have you ever BEEN to Potomac? Lately the show starts Monday and ends Friday, so when exactly would the performance events be? There are no "separate" days! Unless you want a whole 'nother week...

The dates for all of the obedience classes are listed above and apparently taken from the AKC site. I read it there too.

I'm not taking a deep breath right now. I was going to be exhibiting in both conformation and rally. It's impossible to do both the way it's set up.

In anwser to your question, YES I have been to Potomac and done some real nice winning there as well.

Really, I don't think the sky is falling. Sometimes medication helps those with high levels of anxiety.

breeder
In anwser to your question, YES I have been to Potomac and done some real nice winning there as well.

Really, I don't think the sky is falling. Sometimes medication helps those with high levels of anxiety.

You obviously would know about medications for anxiety by bringing them up. I don't even take an aspirin and no, the sky isn't falling. It's never been run this way before and yes, breeders that work both venues will be concerned.

I imagine you're one venue or the other, not both or you would be concerned also.

club member 2

"Obedience and Rally at the 2012 specialty will be held at an indoor venue with 4 trials each."

That sucks for me! I do both. In fact it sucks for all Rally/Obedience people who also enjoy watching Breed and enjoying all what Potomac has to offer.

breeder
Don't you think this experienced Club would schedule these things on seperate days, so all dogs could participate in any venue the owner chooses ??? I mean , I'm just making a wild guess here, but seriously think about it?

The "Club" was not aware that this was done. Evidently it was decided on by just a couple of people. The membership was not asked for their input. I spoke with a Board Member who was as shocked and surprised as I was to learn that the venue had been split. I guess obedience just doesn't matter to some conformation people.

Why wasn't something that effected so many exhibitors not brought to a vote by firstthe board and then the membership? I can't picture a decision of such importance not voted upon. That would not fly in the Lab club of which I am a member.

What is the point of doing it? There was plenty of room for the obedience tent. Why did they feel the need to make the change? It might be easier to understand if we could hear what their reasoning was.

Breeder
What is the point of doing it? There was plenty of room for the obedience tent. Why did they feel the need to make the change? It might be easier to understand if we could hear what their reasoning was.

Not even the membership seems to all know or know why. They weren't included in the decision making apparently. Don't they take a vote for something this important? It would be nice if someone from the LRCP that's *in the know* would reply about this.

I know I'm not paying the rate of the host hotel if more than 1/2 of my showing is in a different ring not near the hotel. I can stay elsewhere for much less or not attend at all this year, taking a break.

I don't go back to the early days of The Potomac, have they ever split the venues before and if so do you know why? I've been attending for 12 years, this will be my 13th. The obedience ring was always right there but that's since 1999. Many of you have been attending longer than I.

Check with Vicky Creamer SHOW CHAIR at Belquest1@aol.com
She will know what the "H" is really going on!!

NEED Answer
Check with Vicky Creamer SHOW CHAIR at Belquest1@aol.com
She will know what the "H" is really going on!!

She's tough to reach at times. She has a busy boarding kennel, show dogs & puppy sales. Usually staff answers but I will try calling & emailing her.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know who is in what position in the LRCP. Sue Pattersen was the Show Chair for Bare Bones, I thought she was for The Potomac also. I'm glad I didn't bother her about this if Vicky is the Show Chair and a Board Member.

True

have they ever split the venues before and if so do you know why? I've been attending for 12 years, this will be my 13th. The obedience ring was always right there but that's since 1999. Many of you have been attending longer than I.

I started showing there in the early 90s. I have never heard of anything but just the one show site. I don't understand why the club did this snce it will change the whole atmosphere of the show for me and for others who want to do both, regardless of the weather. After all, the weather is the same on one side of the tent as on the other, isn't it? It is so much fun to show in both c information and obedience. With two different show sites, it will be impossible to enjoy the *whole* show as I have always known it.
I will sure miss it.

I am sure they must have counted up the number of obedience exhibitors who show in both and those who only show in obedience. I imagine they will lose obedience entries from conformation people. They must surely know if they have a big enough obedience only entry to do this.

count
I am sure they must have counted up the number of obedience exhibitors who show in both and those who only show in obedience. I imagine they will lose obedience entries from conformation people. They must surely know if they have a big enough obedience only entry to do this.

But why do it to begin with? why make people pick one type of entry (conformation or obedience) over another? Aren't we all celebrating the all around abilities of our dogs? Why make it so that there is only show dogs at the specialty, and obedience dogs at the obedience venue? And why hasn't anyone explained why this has been done????

I see it as a total disregard for those conformation people who would like to do obedience.

I think that the club should change it back to the same venue as conformation or have no obedience at all.

count

Don't be so sure any of this was done. Only the peeps that did it know for *sure*. Some are strictly obedience and some are strictly conformation is the rumours I've heard from far away. That makes sence but our 2 cents doesn't matter either, the exhibitors. The problem is the board and membership were not consulted. Why have a club if the members + board have no say? This is The Potomac Specialty afterall. A show some of us wait + save for all year, give up vacations for or take unpaid time off work for.

I doubt most of the LRCP board + membership would have wanted it this way.

If I attend, I will miss the obedience ring. I go there often and was beginning a boy of mine in rally. I will not drive the directions I see for that location risking missing a conformation class. So you see, we have to make a choice of conformation or obedience at The Potomac.

What do you think the *True Original Founders* would have thought of this poorly thought out large move?

It's obvious that exhibitors prefer the obedience/rally events at the same locale as the conformation classes. It's more fun that way, and more convenient.
But what is best for the dogs? Is it really best for dogs to have to perform their obedience and rally moves in muck that is 3-4" deep? Is it best for the dogs to have to jump in those conditions? Is that the safest thing for the dogs????
Yes, a well trained dog will perform under any circumstances....but is it the best thing and the safest thing for them?
Just sayin'....

just sayin'
It's obvious that exhibitors prefer the obedience/rally events at the same locale as the conformation classes. It's more fun that way, and more convenient.
But what is best for the dogs? Is it really best for dogs to have to perform their obedience and rally moves in muck that is 3-4" deep? Is it best for the dogs to have to jump in those conditions? Is that the safest thing for the dogs????
Yes, a well trained dog will perform under any circumstances....but is it the best thing and the safest thing for them?
Just sayin'....

the weather is the same on one side of the tent as on the other, isn't it? If you think conditions are dangerous, then you don't compete. How is muck at a dog show any different than muck at a hunt test, too?

I think it is a big mistake. The result will be two shows. The Potomac and an obedience show. The only thing special about the obedience show will be the big rosettes. Not being part of the Potomac will take its toll. There are plenty of opportunities for obed people to compete and some will choose to show elsewhere.

I think the club is making a huge mistake with this move. In my 5 years of going to Potomac I have found that it’s a great experience and one I look forward to all year. I truly appreciate the hard work that goes on behind the scenes and at the show to make it what it is. I too have competed in both confirmation plus obedience/rally at each show. And honestly I do not foresee any way to compete in both confirmation and obed/rally with a split venue. So much will be lost with this arrangement - education and learning being in the forefront of fellow exhibitors/spectators, the networking, friends rooting friends on that may not be exhibiting in obed/rally or vice versa, the ability to watch the either confirmation or rally/obed. while waiting for your own class. Maybe I'm still "new" to Potomac but the thrill I feel when I see the tent off in the distance getting off the interstate cannot be matched by any other show. Unfortunately I see this split will make the obed/rally trials like any other ordinary show held at some generic location and definitely not the Potomac we know. I truly hope the board can make the change and bring the obed/rally back to the host site!

It was a BIG MISTAKE to split the venues. From what I have learned, there was no good reason for it other than a couple of people wanted to do obedience indoors. There are plenty of opportunities for indoor obedience trials but there is only one Potomac Specialty in April! Prepare for what the weather can be, or chose not to come, but don't ruin the specialty for everyone else.

Big Mistake
It was a BIG MISTAKE to split the venues. From what I have learned, there was no good reason for it other than a couple of people wanted to do obedience indoors. There are plenty of opportunities for indoor obedience trials but there is only one Potomac Specialty in April! Prepare for what the weather can be, or chose not to come, but don't ruin the specialty for everyone else.

I agree with you. You summed it up well.

If this is all true I also would find it unfortunate- as one of the folks who often does compete in both conformation and obedience. I also often travel with someone who competes in obedience- since we both use the van to crate the dogs during the day I suppose we now won't be able to travel together if she has to head out to a different venue for obedience (and I would just have to miss obedience).
If competing indoors was the issue I wonder why they didn't try to move it indoors at the host hotel (where they have the veterans at night)? Personally I prefer the outdoor rings.
I couldn't find anything about this on the club website either- such a big change I would think it would be noted?

Wendy C. Ernst, DVM
If this is all true I also would find it unfortunate- as one of the folks who often does compete in both conformation and obedience. I also often travel with someone who competes in obedience- since we both use the van to crate the dogs during the day I suppose we now won't be able to travel together if she has to head out to a different venue for obedience (and I would just have to miss obedience).
If competing indoors was the issue I wonder why they didn't try to move it indoors at the host hotel (where they have the veterans at night)? Personally I prefer the outdoor rings.
I couldn't find anything about this on the club website either- such a big change I would think it would be noted?

If you look at the AKC information, you'll see the new location. Why they don't have it on the club page makes no sense to me either. A change of this magnitude should be up there for all to see. Not just the few that wanted it this way and were given what they wanted. And what about the board and all club members, don't they have the right to vote on this?

The show has outgrown the show site. They need to find new grounds that will accommodate all the activities.

x
The show has outgrown the show site. They need to find new grounds that will accommodate all the activities.

You've been saying that for years and you're wrong. It has not been outgrown. A few people didn't want their dogs feet wet. There is plenty of room for the obedience ring and tent.

They wouldn't be happy anywhere and neither would you in a field 15 miles from the host hotel. Keep whining and you won't have a host hotel and several other hotels right near the grounds also.

We're lucky to still be able to attend this show on those grounds.

Don't try to fix what's not broken or join the LRCP and open your mouth and say that.

My thoughts exactly. This should have been a discussion between All club members. This is a major decision and change.

I am a club member and I was not consulted. Its my understanding that board members were not consulted and arrangements had already been made. ( the deal was final).

I don't understand how a person/s would have that kind of decision making power and autonomy to book obedience at a different venue.

Lab Breeder
I don't understand how a person/s would have that kind of decision making power and autonomy to book obedience at a different venue.

First of all, the show site was not outgrown or anywhere nearing that. It's spacious.

Contact the club board members or join the club and you'll find out quickly the answers to your questions. Anyone can join if sponsored by 2 members. Too many don't get involved in club activities because they live too far away or plain don't bother. Some want to put the LRCP logo on their websites which is *not* permitted but it's done all the time.

The majority of the board wasn't consulted and the membership was sent an email with several subjects addressed at the same time. The change in site for obedience and rally was in that multiple subject email.

So either the membership found out from that email or if they didn't read any or all of it, they found out *here*.

What the blank? There should have been a vote amongst the board. Then it should have gone to the membership. This was a large decision made by a few people. So who said yes to this and dropped the ball allowing it to go through without any votes?

I am genuinely saddened about the current state of affairs. In my minds eye, I can see the missing ring for rally and obedience being used for whoever and whatever people want to use it for. More handlers crates, storage of bales of hay and other items that had a place to go already.

xo
x

You've been saying that for years and you're wrong. It has not been outgrown. A few people didn't want their dogs feet wet. There is plenty of room for the obedience ring and tent.

They wouldn't be happy anywhere and neither would you in a field 15 miles from the host hotel. Keep whining and you won't have a host hotel and several other hotels right near the grounds also.

We're lucky to still be able to attend this show on those grounds.

Don't try to fix what's not broken or join the LRCP and open your mouth and say that.

You must have me confused with another. I've been a Potomac member for 20 years and have never voiced my thoughts (outside the club) on this subject until now. I'm not alone in that opinion though. Glad you were able to voice yours, too. Hopefully, they'll work it out to everyone's satisfaction.

I am SO disappointed to read this. I agree with Big Mistake. There is no shortage of space for the obedience and rally rings. Some days/years the weather is nice, sometimes not. You take that chance at EVERY outdoor show. I have done conformation and obedience/rally with my dogs at LRCP many times since my first attendance in 1987. I take pride in the fact that my dogs can run from one ring to the other and perform well. Even with it at the same site I often have had to literally run due to conflicts. There is no way I would consider going to another venue. I take this as a change in attitude toward promoting versatility in Labs by this club. Very sad.

Well said my thoughts exactly. How was this arranged with no voting and the board made aware of it.

"The majority of the board wasn't consulted and the membership was sent an email with several subjects addressed at the same time. The change in site for obedience and rally was in that multiple subject email."

I'm a member of LRCP. For the life of me I don't remember that email, and I just went on line and newsletters from Spring and Summer and didn't see mention of the proposed change in venue for obedience at 2012 Potomac.

If I may ask, approx when did members receive this email??

The email came out to the membership a couple of weeks ago. The email was mostly about asking for class sponsors and what classes were still needing money. There was a sentence included that said the the venue had been split and the obedience and rally classes would be in another part of town. I was so disgusted when I read it, I deleted the email, but maybe someone saved it and can quote that section.

The email came out to the membership a couple of weeks ago. The email was mostly about asking for class sponsors and what classes were still needing money. There was a sentence included that said the the venue had been split and the obedience and rally classes would be in another part of town. I was so disgusted when I read it, I deleted the email, but maybe someone saved it and can quote that section.
There hasn't been anything else about the venue split in any newsletter or other type of communication.

Amy Ottertail
I am SO disappointed to read this. I agree with Big Mistake. There is no shortage of space for the obedience and rally rings. Some days/years the weather is nice, sometimes not. You take that chance at EVERY outdoor show. I have done conformation and obedience/rally with my dogs at LRCP many times since my first attendance in 1987. I take pride in the fact that my dogs can run from one ring to the other and perform well. Even with it at the same site I often have had to literally run due to conflicts. There is no way I would consider going to another venue. I take this as a change in attitude toward promoting versatility in Labs by this club. Very sad.

Amy, Your last 2 sentences sum it up. *I take this as a change in attitude toward promoting versatility in Labs by this club. Very sad. * I do feel the same as you and several others who have posted their opinions. I don't think we'll forget The Potomac '12 for a long time, not for the good unfortunately.

Since the club membership and/or Board Of Directors were not involved in this bad decision, it seems to me that the appropriate course of action would be to reverse the decision, put the obedience and rally back at the host hotel for 2012 and then poll the membership as to their wishes. And why has there been no communication from the show chairman or club representative? Are they hoping that this gets swept under the rug and no one will bother to care? This is unbelievable!!!!!

I agree. I've traveled hundreds of miles to compete in both and now that can't happen. No explanation?? I heard that a vote was taken by the board just last week!!! Outrageous...do they think we will buy that?

Agree
I agree. I've traveled hundreds of miles to compete in both and now that can't happen. No explanation?? I heard that a vote was taken by the board just last week!!! Outrageous...do they think we will buy that?

You're right and hit the nail on the head. With that many breeders traveling long distances to participate in both venues, I believe they are owed some sort of explanation to exhibitors, the board and membership of the club.

I agree an explanation is overdue but I doubt very seriously one will be offered. I think it is very sad that past exhibitors and perhaps future exhibitors have been alienated by the "split decision." I always look forward to conformation, obedience and rally being held at the same venue but that will not happen in 2012; perhaps I will save my money and enter at other specialties next year where conformation and obedience is held at the same venue and where the exhibitors opinions are valued.

As much as I enjoy The Potomac, I spend a fortune in the entry fees for both venues, gas, hotel bill, food, goodies & gifts for others at the vendors and importantly too much bidding on items to benefit the club at auction and silent auction.

I think your idea holds tremendous merit and something I've been thinking of. I may take a break this year due to not only *what* happened but *how* it happened. Thanks for putting my mind back on that track. We can attend lots of other shows locally or not as far as the Potomac with the $1000's of dollars spent by me at the end of 6 days.

As there has been no reply from the club to this disturbing situation I am going to ask questions of anyone who migh help. I need to plan my life accordingly. I need to decide if I'm attending or not due to the impossiblity of doing both venues the way it's currently being handled. If there will be no changes from the new *Change* in *politics* at the Potomac then I'm going on a long overdue vacation instead.

Is there any chance in the change of venue already made to reverse? Is the Potomac club going to address the concerns of many that have been loyal attendee's for 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 or more years?

Is there anything we as these shorter or longer-time attendee's can do to get the board to consider changing the venues back to being together as they always were?

Does anyone have any suggestions or answers including the Potomac LRCP or members?

I made a donation this evening to the fire and loss of dogs breeder victim instead of sponsoring an obedience or conformation class. My money is going where it's needed the most at this time. I suggest you all do the same if it fits your comfort level. It sure did fit mine. I will not sponsor any class until some answers come out from the proper authorities.

I am very puzzled by this conversation.

In my experience, few Rally and Obedience exhibitors
are willing to compete outdoors, even under the
best of conditions. Trial hosts and judges also
dislike putting on the trial outdoors.

In addition, considering the size of the conformation entry at Potomac, the entry in Obedience and Rally was low last year and a decrease from the preceding year.
I haven't added up the entries, but I would guess that the entry per day last year combined in obedience and rally was significantly less than 100 dogs.

The Rally/Obedience exhibitors to whom I spoke last year were not competing in conformation. I'm not saying that no one tries to compete in both conformation and performance, but the number of people competing in both is small in any trial I have entered.

I'm guessing that the entry in both obedience and
rally will increase when the venue is indoors. And all those competing will be more satisfied in the very nice indoor arena provided by Break Away Dogs (BAD), which is only about 4 miles away and has great footing.

But it would be easy to poll the people who actually
competed in Obedience and Rally over the last couple
of years--or just review their comments from the
preceding years.

So nice of you to speak for the club, Kate. In your lengthy answer it sounds as though you entered in both obedience and conformation at Potomac. 4 miles sounds easy until you have to load everything in your car, drive through Fredick traffic, unload, set up do your showing, pack everything back up and drive back through traffic to unload and set up so thatyou can show in the other venue. In your answer you claim that "few Rally and Obedience exhibitors are willing to compete outdoors, even under the best of conditions."
How many Labrador exhibitors are you talking about...perhaps those few who initiated to change of venue is my guess since the majority of Labrador people I know prefer to compete outdoors. Perhaps these are the same few who prefer to do everything indoors. As to polling and hearing comments, I guess you haven't read the thread, or you just don't get it.

I have dogs that compete in Obedience and Confirmation. This is going to be the first year I am able to go to Potomac. I was looking forward to the show being on the same grounds. Though I prefer indoors, I have no problem with outdoor shows. Some of the people I train obedience with will only do indoor shows (other breeds).

Unfortunately, I will not be entering my dogs in Obedience this year. Fear of conflict with Breed.

I wish it was different, I wish they would move the Obedience back, but I doubt that is going to happen. I have seen show grounds moved before and the uproar from the peanut gallery, but never once have I seen a show moved back. Maybe 2013?

My dreams are now dashed, BOB & HIT

Kate Fulkerson, PhD

The Rally/Obedience exhibitors to whom I spoke last year were not competing in conformation. I'm not saying that no one tries to compete in both conformation and performance, but the number of people competing in both is small in any trial I have entered.

Some of us don't compete in both rally/obedience and conformation every year at Potomac but certainly like to have that option depending on what we have to show in any given year and if we have a dog ready to compete. Some years I have just done performance at Potomac, some I've done just conformation, and some years I have competed in both. While I usually do prefer to do obed/rally indoors, for a specialty, I will gladly enter for obed/rally even if the trial is outdoors. Why? Because I feel it is important maintain the versatility of our breed and I appreciate that the clubs continue to offer obedience & rally at their specialty shows.

Also, as has previously been said, many of us share rides and travel together--now, if one of us has conformation entries and another has obedience/rally entries how are we supposed to manage that? Not all of us can get a room at the host hotel and have that option to put dogs in a room while our travel partner takes the dog vehicle and drives to the trial site. Besides, it's always nice to be ringside and root for your friends but if we have to split up due to the varying show/trial sites, that aspect is ruined too. Very discouraging

Last year the Potomac daily entries in both Rally and Obedience were less than 50. The highest daily entry in Rally was 47, and the lowest was 20. The highest daily entry in obedience was 35 and the lowest 21.

Last weekend at a medium-sized all-breed show, I was the only Lab exhibitor who was showing in both Rally and conformation. Because I helped steward for one show, I know that there were a tiny number ring conflicts in ANY breed with conformation and a few with obedience. We were able to accommodate all their needs. We had many NQs in Novice and Advanced--even indoors.

I was able to steward, show a dog in conformation, and finish an RE. Conformation and Rally were in separate buildings.

My problem with Potomac Rally and Obedience is the high entry fees. $33

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you too, GED. I am thankful
for all the people who are willing to do all the hard work to host the Rally and Obedience part of Potomac. I know it is hard work. And I am thankful that Breakaway Dogs is willing to lend us their lovely facility for performance sports.

Why do I think, if sometimes there are changes in judges, it should be possible to change venues. Come on. They have 5 months to fix this mistake they have made.

But will they fix it in 5 mo.? Time for *the heat is on*. Not one person involved in this change has spoke up. Like we have no idea who wanted it and got someone to roll over? God Forbid their boots get mud on them in any ring. April is known for rain and May and June have joined them. It never stopped the club from putting on the Potomac show in it's entirety.

To not consult the board before a large decision shows no respect for the board. Are they going to take that smack in the face? I hope not. A board should be the decision makers along with the membership following up.

Would someone speak up already so we know if this is a final decision. I think and hope that me and my husband are going to Hawaii for 12 days instead for a banner anniversary.

I can miss a year of the Potomac show given the unknown final circumstances.

Kate Fulkerson, PhD
And a Happy Thanksgiving to you too, GED. I am thankful
for all the people who are willing to do all the hard work to host the Rally and Obedience part of Potomac. I know it is hard work. And I am thankful that Breakaway Dogs is willing to lend us their lovely facility for performance sports.

You say lend *us* their lovely facility for performance sports. Do you mean rent or it's being lent for free as they charge $300 per day plus other fees? How did you discover the indoor venue, is it on AKC? There is no sign of booking this for the LRCP club yet, not on the Breakaway Dogs BAD site yet. I heard it was already booked and was not AKC Pending although the meeting for a vote took place less then a week ago, *after* final decisons were made.

Our building rental fee is $300 per day, below are pictures of the building from different angles. Contact Mary Brookey, Building Rental Coordinator, at landsview@aol.com and postmaster@actiondogs.org for more information.

This would have been a nice venue for an indoor show mid-winter. For April during a show with grounds already there for obedience and rally, is it necessary to spend $300 a day extra plus other costs involved?

http://www.actiondogs.org/home.htm

http://www.actiondogs.org/show.htm

http://www.actiondogs.org/events.htm

Re: Oh Just Give it A Rest

According to last year's catalog there were only 3 exhibitors that entered obedience AND conformation and O exhibitors that entered Rally AND conformation.
I think we can all see through these posts LOL

Re: Oh Just Give it A Rest

.Enough Already
According to last year's catalog there were only 3 exhibitors that entered obedience AND conformation and O exhibitors that entered Rally AND conformation.
I think we can all see through these posts LOL

Thanks for looking at the catalog; I only checked InfoDog for the entry numbers (which have gone down substantially from the preceding year). I have no reason to doubt what you posted because it
fits with my experience competing in both rally and conformation at other shows in AKC.

Yes, I think we can all see through these posts. I only hope that Rally/Obedience exhibitors read the premium thoroughly so that they learn that their trials will be held indoors--at a really nice facility.

I just looked at the 2011 Potomac catalog....there were a total of 8 dogs entered in obedience that do show in or have shown in conformation and their owners show in conformation as well as obedience; in rally there were again 8 different dogs entered that show in conformation or that their owners show in conformation.

There are plenty of exhibitors that may have dogs entered in conformation and different dogs entered in obedience or rally at the same show; with the 2012 show having a split venue there is no way for people to do both. What about breeder/exhibitors that show in conformation that may have bred & sold a dog to someone that is showing in one of the performance venues....with it being split there is no way for that person to pop over to watch & lend support. I guess everyone is assuming that the obedience and rally exhibitors DO NOT want to watch conformation or shop at any of the vendors at the show. What happened to the idea of inclusiveness for all exhibitors?

Yes the new indoor facility may only be 4 or 5 miles from the Holiday Inn but I can guarantee you that it will take closer to 15 minutes to drive it with morning commuter traffic.

The number of obedience/rally entries may appear small by most standards thereby assuming that the change won't effect very many exhibitors but I don't think that's the issue. Potomac is the largest Labrador Retriever Specialty in the world. It attracts people from all over the world many of who are perhaps new to the breed and unfamiliar with the breed's great versatility. Those who do compete in both venues are folks to be admired and the special one who manages to go HIT among all the distractions is really special. Potomac has always been the benchmark that all other clubs strive to match and I think the fact that we continued to hold performance events right next door to 1,000 conformation entries is remarkable. I hope that the Club doesn't regret their decision to split the activities and that the obedience folks who enter will find a way to enjoy the remarkable week that will be on the other side of town. One thing is for sure....they'll be dry while the rest of us may be covered in rain gear.

The number of obedience/rally entries may appear small by most standards thereby assuming that the change won't effect very many exhibitors but I don't think that's the issue. Potomac is the largest Labrador Retriever Specialty in the world. It attracts people from all over the world many of who are perhaps new to the breed and unfamiliar with the breed's great versatility. Those who do compete in both venues are folks to be admired and the special one who manages to go HIT among all the distractions is really special. Potomac has always been the benchmark that all other clubs strive to match and I think the fact that we continued to hold performance events right next door to 1,000 conformation entries is remarkable. I hope that the obedience folks who enter will find a way to enjoy the remarkable week that will be on the other side of town. One thing is for sure....they'll be dry while the rest of us may be covered in rain gear and mud.

My hope is that the silence from the LRCP means they are struggling to deal with the issue and that we will hear from them as soon as they decide how to proceed.

If left as it is, in my mind there will be 2 shows. "The Potomac - without obedience" and the equivalent of a "supported entry" obedience show with the LRCP contributing rosettes & trophies for a run of the mill obedience trial.

Look at the pictures of the obedience facility. You will see it has the appeal of brightly lit warehouse. It is a typical bare bones facility like those of so many obedience clubs. Walking through the doors certainly would not raise my spirits. I could compete in several venues like this one within a hour of my home.

Breeder
My hope is that the silence from the LRCP means they are struggling to deal with the issue and that we will hear from them as soon as they decide how to proceed.

If left as it is, in my mind there will be 2 shows. "The Potomac - without obedience" and the equivalent of a "supported entry" obedience show with the LRCP contributing rosettes & trophies for a run of the mill obedience trial.

Look at the pictures of the obedience facility. You will see it has the appeal of brightly lit warehouse. It is a typical bare bones facility like those of so many obedience clubs. Walking through the doors certainly would not raise my spirits. I could compete in several venues like this one within a hour of my home.

Well stated Breeder. I couldn't have said it nearly as well but feel the same as you.

If they proceed this way, the Potomac Spring Specialty show is split into 2 seperate shows. I know many that participate in both rings or either and did last year. I could list a dozen names of breeder*exhibitors that I saw go from 1 ring to the other. So the cataloge is wrong once again. It happened at Bare Bones too, there were incorrect class counts by a large amount. For example, 5 bitches listed, 15 participated in certain classes.

I am sad about this, it will not be the same for most long time attendees. It's true, some have no interest in what they call *the other ring* but most have at least respect for obedience and rally even if they don't compete in it. I notice those same people when looking for a stud-dog want to know if they have any other titles. They don't bother with it themselves but want the hard-work done by others on there boys in the form of some titles.

Last, who runs the 2nd show? Another steward is needed, another this and other that. The Club already has problems getting enough members to volunteer their time for anything at the Potomac. Membership, you weren't consulted but be prepared to be asked to work 1 show or the other.

And what about breeders that attend that don't read lists or boards, don't use computers and have no idea of this? They'll find out when they go to do their entries?

Let us hope for a change although I doubt it will occur. If I were a member, I would request an Emergency meeting but I'm not involved with the club and was never a member.

I understand why conformation competitors would like to keep the performance sports close at hand. We like the idea that conformation dogs can also perform well.

Sadly, my experience indicates that the number of Labs who compete in both conformation and performance sports is small. If we want versatile Labs, simply keeping the trials adjacent to the conformation trials will not make it so.

Anyone who has tried to set up rally signs in wind and rain can understand why people don't want to put trials on outside. Likewise those who work hard to train dogs can understand why exhibitors don't want to broad or high jump their dogs on slippery turf.

I see no evidence that the Potomac club will not provide the ribbons and prizes for these events. Potomac still appears to be hosting the trials. I predict higher entries in indoor trials.

x
One thing is for sure....they'll be dry while the rest of us may be covered in rain gear and mud.

And the original Potomac Spring Specialty minus obedience&rally might be in the bright sunshine with a soft breeze or rain, sleet or snow. We've never known what we're in for any year in mid-April. Either way, the Obedience*Rally Show is slated to be indoors and The Potomac Conformation Specialty Show will be outdoors as always. They don't belong seperated! This is negative Potomac history in the making.

anonny
Either way, the Obedience*Rally Show is slated to be indoors and The Potomac Conformation Specialty Show will be outdoors as always.

Make the best of it.

xxx
anonny
Either way, the Obedience*Rally Show is slated to be indoors and The Potomac Conformation Specialty Show will be outdoors as always.

Make the best of it.

I think it would have been easier for all if there was a motion, a vote of the LRCP membership and then the board. The board meeting was done after the fact, a week ago. It was never announced, some found out inadvertantly on the AKC site. It's going to be difficult but of course we'll try to make the best of it.

My way of doing so could be skipping The Potomac this year which is probably what will happen. A 1st for me in 14 years. To each, our own.

The "ISSUE" IMO (and others have so stated) is the separation of the obedience/rally trials and the conformation one. IMO, the POTOMAC is ONE SHOW, period. It seems to me, INCREDIBLE that the Show Chair, the Obedience/Rally Co-Chairs were NOT part of this decision -- and who can believe that the LRCP Board did not participate in this decision as well? Why hasn't one of them come forward with an explanation for their decision? It seems clear that it's a fact -- the obedience/rally venue has been changed -- the decision has been made or it would not have been posted on MB-F. (Whether it can be changed (and if LRCP wants to) or not remains to be seen.) BUT why haven't the RESPONSIBLE show chairs spoken up?
I show only in conformation (although I work in obedience) but I have friends who show in OB & rally -- and I love to watch them, take photos for them, etc. And, they, also like to watch -- and some of them show -- in the breed ring as well.
This is WRONG -- will the responsible "PARTIES" please stand up? -- and allow us -- who cannot fathom why this was done -- to understand your reasoning in making this decision and causing such unhappiness among those of us who obviously care so much. With all due respect to those who made this decision, PLEASE give us some explantion!!

And whoever YOU are, you are also so very wrong. Actually, I think you might be the person responsible for this awful situation and are just trying to deflect attention.....hmmmm?

There has been a huge outpouring by a large number of responders - not the same three that you are trying to claim. This has been busiest thread that I can remember. It hasn't been pulled for a good reason, too. The overwhelming majority of posters are justifiably upset by the split and are entitled to post their opinions. To rub salt in everyone's wounds over this now, the person or persons who should be taking responsibility and give us an explanation are treating us with silence. How rude is that? Sure, they are quick to ask for our support and especially for our money, but give us a few words of apology and an explanation? Typical behavior of those who don't care.

The catalog does not accurately reflect who was entered where, so that whole argument is pointless. If you were there, you would know that.

I dislike this entire situation and the way it was handled so far. I'm not a member of the club, I live at a great distance and have heard things from people all over the US and Canada. I don't compete in obedience or rally but enjoy watching it and meeting others under that tent. They're exceptionally nice people.

If you want to believe it's 3 people, do so. From the emails and calls I've recieved I can tell you it's not.

Believe what you want to and I will what I'm seeing and hearing which is not heresay.

I won't post my name here either and never again. I use to and get the crud beat out of me twice for no reason. I forgot, *we* can't have opinions on this list. If we don't agree with *you* or *you* we're a troll.

I'm done reading on here for the night. I'm sure there will be more tmorrow as it is not only 3 people. That's ridiculous and you're talking to the wrong breeders.

GED

The catalog does not accurately reflect who was entered where, so that whole argument is pointless. If you were there, you would know that.

Whoever is trying to claim that there were no rally/conformation entries is ridiculous!!! The numbers that kate and these people are throwing around for obedience and rally & conformation showing are dead wrong. Just because you tell a lie a few times it doesn't become the truth.

Rally 2011
GED

Whoever is trying to claim that there were no rally/conformation entries is ridiculous!!! The numbers that kate and these people are throwing around for obedience and rally & conformation showing are dead wrong. Just because you tell a lie a few times it doesn't become the truth.

I saw many conformation dogs run out of the obedience ring into the conformation ring several times, different dogs. I'm not sure of the owners as it was nasty weather out. 3 is impossible, I saw plenty and know of more besides them.

They got caught with their hands in the cookie jar prematurely so that's a good excuse, only 3 people against this change in venue and who exhibited conformation and ob/rally. Bull! Come answer my emails and phones that keep ringing. Exhibitors are upset, rightfully so.

I came into Breed through Obedience. Would take my dogs to the trials at Lab Specialties and watch Confirmation. Finally, I wanted to try my hand in the breed ring. In my search for a puppy, many of the breeders told me my path was the path they followed, obedience first, then breed. I enjoy doing both.

I will enter Breed at Potomac and would have entered Obedience if it was at the same place. I know I could enter Obedience on the days I will not be in Breed but I wanted to spectate on the other confirmation classes. There are other Obedience trials, Potomac is not going to get my money for that this year.

Whoever made the decision to split should take responsibility, I would love to hear an explanation.

Last year I only had one dog in conformation, however in past years I have had the same dog in both conformation and obedience/rally, and in most years I have had some combination of dogs in conformation and obedience/rally but not necessarily the same dogs in both. I think you'd have to look at a something like a 5 year average to see really how many folks tend to do both (but remember they might have one dog in conformation and another completely in obedience).

I know that as an exhibitor who competes in both venues I am in the minority. I know that opinions are split amongst the obed folks on preference to indoor/outdoor venues. And I certainly know that the weather at Potomac is not always what we would want!

As usually occurs there are valid pros and cons to both sides of this issue. And I concede that this change would on the surface only impact a small percentage of those who enter at Potomac. As someone who has chaired a regional specialty show I do understand how difficult it is to keep everyone happy and how hard to keep everything balanced. On this issue I just think the loss is bigger than the "numbers on paper" might show.

As Potomac is the largest attended Labrador Specialty in the world I personally feel it's disappointing to not have the obed/rally on the same grounds. If just a handful of conformation folks wander over and watch some competition dogs working I think it's worth it. It is a venue that allows us to appreciate the importance of structure and soundness in our dogs.

I would also hope that the club would prominently display this change on their website- now that general info on the 2012 specialty is up. Whether or not you consider it good or bad it is definitely new and different.

Wendy, Nice post in this difficult conversation. I can easily agree with everything you said.

As you said, you are among a minority of Lab people who compete with the same dog in conformation and obedience/rally at any show, not just Potomac. I'm doing it now myself, and I can easily see how small the number is.

The number of exhibitors increases a little if you add people who compete with one dog in conformation and another in performance sports. But they still are a minority of the total exhibitors.

I applaud you. In fact, if there is to be any increase in conformation/performance Labs, we need more people like you. The rift is large. We need a lot of people who train their dogs to bridge the gap.

But I doubt keeping Rally and Obedience at the Holiday Inn will increase involvement in performance sports. It hasn't so far. I don't know of any outdoor trials that have survived in my area.

I don't belong to the Potomac club, but I like to see performance events succeed, especially in these difficult economic times. I'm hopeful that making the site more user friendly for obedience and rally will increase entries. Maybe it won't, but experimenting can be a good thing. Maybe some entirely new solution will arise from the experiment.

Most importantly I know there is a small number of people who make things work at an event; they deserve our support, even if they have not perfectly handled the transition.

As a breeder who tries to do varied competition - whether it be conformation / obed / field, I find that this would be impossible with obed. being in a different location. I try to enter obed. if I have someone ready, but sometimes cannot compete, because of the conflicts between rings.

I have survived the sleet and rain at Mid-Jersey competing in obed. and the rain and mud competing everywhere in conformation and the heat doing field competition.

For those of us competing at the Potomac, I don't think we expect the ultimate circumstances - either in the obed ring or conformation ring.

I think the show should be in one location, so that we can at least try to "do it all".

IMHO, Katie isn't really Katie, probably a Susan or a Margaret, who also have many monikers on this thread. Let's use our real names folks, then maybe the LRCP would respond. Has anyone actually contacted the Club and had a response? Maybe they are too busy planning NEXT years events to monitor an anonymous forum.

Lab Breeder
As a breeder who tries to do varied competition - whether it be conformation / obed / field, I find that this would be impossible with obed. being in a different location. I try to enter obed. if I have someone ready, but sometimes cannot compete, because of the conflicts between rings.

I have survived the sleet and rain at Mid-Jersey competing in obed. and the rain and mud competing everywhere in conformation and the heat doing field competition.

For those of us competing at the Potomac, I don't think we expect the ultimate circumstances - either in the obed ring or conformation ring.

I think the show should be in one location, so that we can at least try to "do it all".

Lab Breeder, you're right and we have done it for all of the years of The Potomac Spring Specialty, good or bad weather, conformation or obedience-rally. I've been attending for 15 years. So why change it without following the normal way it should have been done? They should have had a membership vote 1st, possibly an exhibitor input email vote and then let the *entire board* make a final decision. They snuck in the board vote less then 2 weeks ago after an email went to some of the membership with several things brought up and the split mentioned in middle of it somewhere. Many did not receive it, I think deliberately.

We still don't know exactly who decided this is to be the 1st year to split the venues for sure. It will come out and it's beginning to. By that time, decisions are made and that's that.

It had to go through AKC 1st yet it was posted on AKC before a board vote that took place about 12 days ago once the cat was out of the bag.

Entries for obedience and rally are going to be low. I don't know of anyone willing to drive across town for it when the rest of the show is going on outdoors. Our breed was meant to be outdoors, not indoors. For example, they have double coats for a reason.

This is a mess and it will hurt the club financially with that many less entries and extra club members working both sites. The club has a hard enough time getting workers. Now several extras are needed away from the actual show? Good luck!

How different The Potomac this shall be. I'm extremely sad and so are many breeders that don't even participate in the split venue.

*Oh what a tangled web we weave.... when first we try to deceive.*

Battleship
IMHO,  Katie isn't really Katie, probably a Susan or a Margaret, who also have many monikers on this thread.  Let's use our real names folks, then maybe the LRCP would respond.  Has anyone actually contacted the Club and had a response?  Maybe they are too busy planning NEXT years events to monitor an anonymous forum.

I guess I should feel flattered that someone identified as Battleship has gone to the trouble to insinuate that I have been posting on this thread as Katie.  I can't speak for any Susan, but I can assure you that while I happen to agree with the majority view on this serious subject as being ill advised, inappropriate and unfair to the exhibitors who wish to compete in breed, obedience and rally, I have only posted my personal opinions on another forum and under my own name.

It is ironic that "Battleship" asks for people to use their real names, as I have done since I own my words, but uses an anonymous "moniker" as it has been put.  

I have contacted members of the LRCP Board of Directors and have learned that this significant and secret split in the venue was done without the knowledge of the membership or even the Board.  Indeed, many of the LRCP membership are still unaware that the obedience venue has been split away from the specialty show site, since there has been nothing mentioned in the newsletter, in the minutes, or as a direct mailing, except as a slight mention in a solicitation letter asking for class sponsorships.  The action to remove obedience from the show site was sent to the AKC, approved and listed online by  the superintendent, MossBow months ago.  It was only AFTER concerned people posted their thoughts onto this forum that the topic was brought to the LRCP Board of Directors last week for a vote, without benefit of input from the club membership or exhibitors.  Whether or not anyone feels that this process was inappropriate, the action has been decided by only a few people, and all of the exhibitors are now forced to decide which venue they will enter.  

I am happy to speak with anyone who wishes to talk with me, as I have done elsewhere.  I will not participate in an emotional or nasty anonymous exchange.  I have spent the last few days with family over the Thanksgiving holiday, with no time for anything else.  Today I was at a dog show all morning and as soon as I returned home we all went into Bethesda until this evening, when I was told by a friend to read the Wiscoy forum, as it seemed as though I was being targeted as somehow being able to assume identities and fuel some peoples' paranoia even while being nowhere near a computer.  This will be my one and only post on this topic, or any topic on the Wiscoy forum since there are always those people who will take a legitimate topic and ruin it for others.

Margaret Wilson

Battleship
IMHO, Katie isn't really Katie, probably a Susan or a Margaret, who also have many monikers on this thread. Let's use our real names folks, then maybe the LRCP would respond. Has anyone actually contacted the Club and had a response? Maybe they are too busy planning NEXT years events to monitor an anonymous forum.

LOL. Well, I can only speak for this Susan, but I haven't responded in this thread under any moniker. Frankly, I don't have an opinion on the subject, as I have only attended Potomac twice, both times competed only in breed, and have no plans to attend in 2012, and I'm not a member of LRCP. So I really have no "horse in this race", so to speak. However, if I did, and had posted, it would have been with my real name and not a moniker.

Battleship

I have pretty much stopped posting here, for just this type situation. But what the heck, one more post before the end of the year!

Well, Susan was a popular name in the 50's and I personally can name 2-Susan's currently on the LRCP Board now, as well as a few other Susan's who are LRCP members too. But like Susan Mouw, my choice for posting is my real name. The Susan you mention as the "pot stirrer" on this thread, along with other things, is not me nor have I posted on this prior to now.

As an active LRCP member, I do occasionally attend Board Meetings, and I would encourage other members to do so too. Yes, I was the Corresponding Secretary for the 2010 year and did my best to keep the membership appropriately informed. That is no longer my position and I know no more than the next member. The current Board was elected by the general membership, as it is every year, and I have no beef with the board. End of that discussion.

While I sympathize with the situation that those who show in both performance and conformation are now faced with, I have "no dog in this fight" as my two venues are conformation, and most recently field work. If you anonymous posters have issues with the LRCP Board and their decisions do something positive. Every single LRCP Board Member has their email posted on the LRCP website, they represent the LRCP membership and if you are not happy then contact them. Ranting on a forum anonymously seems rather 'un-productive' to me.

In the meantime enjoy the last day of the Thanksgiving Holiday and try to lead with gratitude.

That is good advice if it works. I never get any answer. The simple thing to do is answer on here like everyone wants. I have a nice young dog I want to show this spring but I also want to compete in obedience. Now I have to decide which one I have to skip.

From the website:
Please note: Conformation is for Labradors only; all breeds for Rally & Obedience. Limited entry in Obedience and Rally, all Labrador entries taken first. Separate placements for Labradors.

------

While the lab entry will suffer, the all breed entries will more than make up financially for it. They may even fund a large portion of the show. The other breed obedience folks are probably super excited to have an indoor show. Not only will they not have to worry about whatever mother nature throws our way, but also, the crowd of labrador people, the labrador related vendors, the cones!, and the parking!!! Pretty much everything that makes LRC Potomac Spring Specialty special and the mecca that everyone flocks to. I'm sure many non labrador obedience people are very excited to have a 4 day obedience trial during the week!

I have capitalized on a Briard National agility trial open to all breeds held during the week with my labrador. They appreciated the entries so that their club could afford the expense of an agility trial for the 8 or 10 Briards that do agility at their national and it not be a money suck.

However, to me, as a labrador enthusiast and a performance person, it is a very sad time when SPECIALTY obedience trials change to allowing all breeds. I think at a specialty, it lessens the 'special-ness' for lack of a better term of people who can relate to each other. Every breed has their own challenges in training and Labradors are not Goldens or Border Collies - it is fun to be at a trial where we have all trained and are competing with the same breed. The opportunities for that are few and far between - it is a shame that the largest Labrador Specialty has decided to open it up for all breeds and move it to a different location where it will be hard (if not impossible) for those showing in breed to also compete or even watch! I find it hard to watch every class I want to because so much is going on at once, how could anyone get away to go watch obedience???

Last year, I took a conformation girl owned by a friend in for Rally - she titled, got wonderful ribbons and her owner got to watch! That would not have been the case if we were down the road. I was hoping to have some dogs ready for obedience at Potomac - dogs owned by others that I'm training for fun. Unfortunately no one will be able to come out for obedience because it just isn't feasible.

Money talks and 'us' not entering will offer less impact than the all breed entries. I highly doubt that LRCP will take into account the breeder/performance/labrador exhibitor community's opinion if the all breed entries make this obedience trial a successful one financially.

E Arellano
From the website:
Please note: Conformation is for Labradors only; all breeds for Rally & Obedience. Limited entry in Obedience and Rally, all Labrador entries taken first. Separate placements for Labradors.

------

While the lab entry will suffer, the all breed entries will more than make up financially for it. They may even fund a large portion of the show. The other breed obedience folks are probably super excited to have an indoor show. Not only will they not have to worry about whatever mother nature throws our way, but also, the crowd of labrador people, the labrador related vendors, the cones!, and the parking!!! Pretty much everything that makes LRC Potomac Spring Specialty special and the mecca that everyone flocks to. I'm sure many non labrador obedience people are very excited to have a 4 day obedience trial during the week!

I have capitalized on a Briard National agility trial open to all breeds held during the week with my labrador. They appreciated the entries so that their club could afford the expense of an agility trial for the 8 or 10 Briards that do agility at their national and it not be a money suck.

However, to me, as a labrador enthusiast and a performance person, it is a very sad time when SPECIALTY obedience trials change to allowing all breeds. I think at a specialty, it lessens the 'special-ness' for lack of a better term of people who can relate to each other. Every breed has their own challenges in training and Labradors are not Goldens or Border Collies - it is fun to be at a trial where we have all trained and are competing with the same breed. The opportunities for that are few and far between - it is a shame that the largest Labrador Specialty has decided to open it up for all breeds and move it to a different location where it will be hard (if not impossible) for those showing in breed to also compete or even watch! I find it hard to watch every class I want to because so much is going on at once, how could anyone get away to go watch obedience???

Last year, I took a conformation girl owned by a friend in for Rally - she titled, got wonderful ribbons and her owner got to watch! That would not have been the case if we were down the road. I was hoping to have some dogs ready for obedience at Potomac - dogs owned by others that I'm training for fun. Unfortunately no one will be able to come out for obedience because it just isn't feasible.

Money talks and 'us' not entering will offer less impact than the all breed entries. I highly doubt that LRCP will take into account the breeder/performance/labrador exhibitor community's opinion if the all breed entries make this obedience trial a successful one financially.

Betsy - that was for Bare Bones. The spring specialty obedience is on the AKC schedule for Labradors ONLY. There will be no other breeds in competition. Gee....there will also be no conformation entered Labradors, either.

My mistake. I didn't look on AKC and just took a quick peek at the LRCP website with all this hubbub and saw that posted quite large and was very disheartened.

I definitely won't make or break an entry with 1 or 2 not entering and hopefully obedience people will enter, I just won't be planning on competing in obedience in MD this year - but that's a long time away, who knows if anything would be ready by then!

It is still a shame when clubs end up changing obedience at specialties to opening it up to all breeds, even when it is strictly a financial reason for the clubs. (not just to Potomac - a lot of clubs have started going this way or not offering obedience at all!)

I'm glad Potomac's spring specialty hasn't gone that way despite them moving it down the road.

Battleship

Hey Battleship. Are you wearing a grin because 3 women with names similar to the names you threw around came on here and discussed their weekends? You pointed your finger at people who did nothing wrong. Are you content yet?

You can't accept that exhibitors coming from all over the country and world are unhappy with what you are part of. The change in the obedience venue. Did you think they would roll over and say sure, whatever you want? So you threw out some names to see if they would bite or be quiet.

You had the wrong people dumby. Wanna try again? There are lots of people upset with what has happened and is ahead at the Potomac. It wasn't the names you threw out there like a bone.

Do you want your name thrown out there? You can then explain your weekend and how you celebrated your holidays. If you don't, it will be assumed the name is correct and gotcha.

Don't play word & head games if you can't keep up with those more intelligent than you. Don't hide behind feathers that aren't tall or wide enough to cover you.

Leave these women and their names alone and go back to screwing up an important show. I just can't wait to see how bad the damage is that you few have done. Then you can find another screw up for the following year using the puppets.

If you want to do things to make Rally and Obedience more
visible and important at Potomac, here are a few suggestions:

1. Report the results on the website. Make these reports as visible on the website and on Wiscoy as the conformation reports. I can't find any of them for this year's Potomac or Bare Bones.
2. Honor the handlers who compete in both performance and conformation with a special award; different dogs can compete in performance and conformation, but the handler must be the same. Make this part of the ending ceremony and something you report publicly. Then we won't have to guess how many people compete in both.
3. Honor the dogs who qualify in a performance sport and win or place in a conformation class with a special
award. Make this part of the ending ceremony and make this something you report publicly. If you really believe that a dog who competes in both performance and conformation, give that dog his due publicly.
4. Volunteer to help steward. (Rally stewarding is particularly challenging and will require some education.) Thank all volunteer stewards individually for their services during the ending ceremony and thank them on the website and publicly.
5. Train your dogs so that you are prepared to compete in performance sports at Potomac but more importantly
so that you will understand the excellent performances that you see from others--even if you don't end up competing in these sports at Potomac. Ask those people about their training techniques, and listen to the answers.
6. Ask people who compete in these sports regularly what kind of venue they want and give it to them. If they want to be indoors, honor their desires and watch them doing what they love. Driving a few miles isn't much of an adversity compared to the other ones at Potomac.
7. Support the people who are willing to volunteer as rally/obedience show chairs and committee members. These jobs require expertise and hard work.
8. Make a positive difference. Come up with solutions that enhance the performance sports and build them up
to the same stature as conformation.

Those are some good points that I hope the Potomac club will look at. Too bad there's no answer from them yet. I don't know why they wont give any answer? It's hard enough for people who want to show to plan so far ahead without any info. How can a club work like this?

I wonder if those in charge think they ignore us long enough and don't answer that the problem will go away!

Hoping club doesnt respond to this thread. nope i dont believe they are ignoring situation, responding HERE just invites MORE snotty answers from annonymous posters. why give the annonymous idiots more reason to exist. seems like they get off topic and start to call names and insult the board rather than discuss the problem, it's transparent that quite a few just looking to make this very personal and not about the topic - if you want answers then call them directly on the phone . but oh wait. then Board would know who you are ... nope, much easier to complain and bitch, insult if you can hide on this board. How many of YOU have actually picked up the phone and called the Board for their side of decision- from what I've heard, not ONE PErSon has called a board member.

Hoping club doesnt respond to this thread. nope i dont believe they are ignoring situation, responding HERE just invites MORE snotty answers from annonymous posters. why give the annonymous idiots more reason to exist. seems like they get off topic and start to call names and insult the board rather than discuss the problem, it's transparent that quite a few just looking to make this very personal and not about the topic - if you want answers then call them directly on the phone . but oh wait. then Board would know who you are ... nope, much easier to complain and bitch, insult if you can hide on this board. How many of YOU have actually picked up the phone and called the Board for their side of decision- from what I've heard, not ONE PErSon has called a board member.

?????

Lots of good information on this thread about the secret split of the specialty into two seperate shows, a Labrador specialty and an indoor obedience show. thanks to everyone who has put what they know about it on here for us to read. Why hasn't anyone from the club really answer these questions. They are quick to come on here and ask for money to put on the show, but will not admit that this isn't the show that it is supposed to be. The only club reply that I have seen said this when they were asking everyone to give money to the club - "we have chosen to reach out to club members, exhibitors, spectators and vendors to assist in this endeavor.
My understanding is that the indoor venue was initiated at the request of a few club members who are heavily involved in both Rally and obedience."

So if the only word coming from the spokesperson of the club says this, then why don't they answer all the questions about this. If the venue split is because a "few club members" asked for it, then what about the hundreds of other people who do not want the best Labrador show in the world to change into a small indoor obedience show and a Labrador only conformation show...this is not a Specialty, it is two seperate shows, and neither one comes close to being as special as this specialty used to be. What is going on and why is there no answer?

I guess since we are not one of the few club members we are all nobodies and not worth any explaination from the high and mighty club.

Hoping club doesnt respond to this thread. nope i dont believe they are ignoring situation, responding HERE just invites MORE snotty answers from annonymous posters. why give the annonymous idiots more reason to exist. seems like they get off topic and start to call names and insult the board rather than discuss the problem, it's transparent that quite a few just looking to make this very personal and not about the topic - if you want answers then call them directly on the phone . but oh wait. then Board would know who you are ... nope, much easier to complain and bitch, insult if you can hide on this board. How many of YOU have actually picked up the phone and called the Board for their side of decision- from what I've heard, not ONE PErSon has called a board member. trying for mature discussion on this board rarely possible.

#
Hoping club doesnt respond to this thread. nope i dont believe they are ignoring situation, responding HERE just invites MORE snotty answers from annonymous posters. why give the annonymous idiots more reason to exist. seems like they get off topic and start to call names and insult the board rather than discuss the problem, it's transparent that quite a few just looking to make this very personal and not about the topic - if you want answers then call them directly on the phone . but oh wait. then Board would know who you are ... nope, much easier to complain and bitch, insult if you can hide on this board. How many of YOU have actually picked up the phone and called the Board for their side of decision- from what I've heard, not ONE PErSon has called a board member. trying for mature discussion on this board rarely possible.

For your information, many people have used their names (you haven't, lol)
In reading your two identical posts, it is obvious that you are the only one posting with snotty and insulting language...and anonymously, too. Why are you so defensive of the Board....oh wait...you must be on the Board!
You don't have to hope that the Board doesn't respond to this thread...they are already ignoring everybody rather than giving apologies and explanations.

Still no answers?