Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
200 series crate vs 300 for shipping 9 week

I have been shipping puppies for about 12 years, but now I am concerned about the crate size.

This is our first puppy to be shipped in 2 years, and I know things change.

I typically ship a puppy 9 weeks of age in a 200 series crate ( 27 L x 19 H x 20w)

But I am concerned that the puppy boy may need to go in a 300 series which is 32L x 23H x 22w as it has more room for streatching out, and has more height.

I have to order the crate because no one in town has one.

please advise

thanks

Re: 200 series crate vs 300 for shipping 9 week

Is the pup larger than a usual 9 week pup of that sex? I don't ship, I never have and probably never will. I do have families come get their pup and fly the baby back home under their seat. They make 2 trips to visit me if doing so. My recent litter, the family flew 900 miles 3 times to visit and pick up so I could meet the husband and children.

I don't know the typical size kennel used for shipping by air in the belly of the plane, sorry. Why would it change in the two years you haven't shipped and do you always use the same airline?

I do own some vari-kennels I use mostly for housebreaking my keepers and pups that go home later than 8 weeks. I begin with the 200 and go up to the 300 in 3 weeks. I happen to have all sizes up to the 500. Some of my families gift them to me when done with different sizes and others from friends that have a pup of mine or other breed. They're like brand new and I have 1 that is over 25 years old, a 400. It's made better than the new ones.

I don't know why the size would change for the same size pup. Can the pup stand up fully, turn around easily and lie down comfortably in the 200? Check with the airline you're using. I would think they each have their own set of rules. Check about food, water and paperwork needed as long as you're in touch with them.

I'm surprised the *frequent shippers* haven't responded so I finally did.

Pup-size?
Is the pup larger than a usual 9 week pup of that sex? I don't ship, I never have and probably never will. I do have families come get their pup and fly the baby back home under their seat. They make 2 trips to visit me if doing so. My recent litter, the family flew 900 miles 3 times to visit and pick up so I could meet the husband and children.

I don't know the typical size kennel used for shipping by air in the belly of the plane, sorry. Why would it change in the two years you haven't shipped and do you always use the same airline?

I do own some vari-kennels I use mostly for housebreaking my keepers and pups that go home later than 8 weeks. I begin with the 200 and go up to the 300 in 3 weeks. I happen to have all sizes up to the 500. Some of my families gift them to me when done with different sizes and others from friends that have a pup of mine or other breed. They're like brand new and I have 1 that is over 25 years old, a 400. It's made better than the new ones.

I don't know why the size would change for the same size pup. Can the pup stand up fully, turn around easily and lie down comfortably in the 200? Check with the airline you're using. I would think they each have their own set of rules. Check about food, water and paperwork needed as long as you're in touch with them.

I'm surprised the *frequent shippers* haven't responded so I finally did.

Thank you for responding.

Our puppies could never fit under the seat as they are too big. They have to be at least 8 weeks to ship.

The airlines changed from Northwest to Delta. Same rules as the past-stand up turn around without touching the top.

I do not have a 200 series crate to compare with the 300; I will have to order the crate as no one in our town has one.

I thought maybe someone would know the reccommend size for a 9 week old male puppy. Wt is about 17 pounds.

I do not want to order a 200 if it will be too small. There is always a chance that we may have to change the shipping date, and he will be older, and bigger.

I have spoken with a few airlines about shipping, and the general rule for shipping dogs and their crate size is the following:

"The space between the top of the dogs ears to the top of the crate must be at least 2 inches when standing up. And the dog must be able to turn around comfortably"

Best of luck :)