Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I supplement?

I have a litter of two week old pups. All are gaining weight, some more than others. All had doubled their weight by 10 days old. However, the range in weights is getting larger each day. Some pups are gaining just 1- 1 1/2 oz per day, and others 3-4 oz per day.

The lighter pups I always make sure get on a teat first, and I stick them back on a teat more frequently. All pups seem content, cruising around the whelping box, and actively seek out mom when she goes back in the box.

Should I consider supplementing the lighter weight pups with Esbilac or just let things be? There is a 7 oz difference between the heaviest and lightest pup. I assume all will even out once I start giving gruel

TIA

Re: Should I supplement?

I would let a bigger puppy start on one of the big full teats to let the milk down, then put the smaller puppy on to nurse and finish it off. It's a lot of work to get the milk down, so let the big puppies do the hard part. I would also give the smaller ones more alone time at the milk bar. I feel if I supplement it just reduces the supply of milk as they grow, so I don't do it, unless I really need to and the babies aren't thriving.

Edited to add, I would also consider adding gruel now too, especially if it is a bigger litter, the smaller pups will catch up faster with gruel.

I agree to letting the bigger pup start the milk flowing. The first milk or foremilk in most mammals is a higher water content, and the last milk or hind milk is more like half and half. Yes, they need both, but they can get the foremilk easily if weaker when you are not helping. The best supplement is the dam's milk, just more of it if they need it. Not all pups are genetically destined to be big. Some are smaller and lighter boned.

I have been told that 18 days is the earliest they can digest gruel.

How many pups in this litter? does mum have plenty of milk? Yes - you want the pups to stimulate mum to produce more milk -

PUPPIES CANNOT DIGEST GRUEL UNTILL 21 days. If you want some real loose stools go ahead and supplement. It will go right thru them, and they will have stomach aches and they will not want to nurse.
OH, and I had an opthamoligist tell me that he can tell when puppies are supplemented, and it does affect their 7 WEEK Cerf exam. He said some are so affected they do not pass.
If you want to feed someone , feed the bitch ! I mean 4 or 5 times a day. Highest protien food you can afford, and add some yogurt to it .

Thanks for all of your replies!

I was thinking of supplementing with Esbilac, not gruel. The little pup is catching up now, and gaining 3-4 oz a day like the others, with no extra supplementation.

Mom is getting a high protein/fat kibble, NV Instinct as tha base of her diet

Six in the litter, so I think mom has plenty of milk.

Thanks again.