Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hyundai Elantra Touring???

I am considering buying a good mileage car which I can
drive to work (I live about 40 minutes from my office)
and occasionally bring a dog. I am considering
Hyundai because of the excellent warranties and reviews.
But I am open to other options because I cannot find
an Elantra Touring so that I can see if a dog could
ride in the hatchback area.

Reviews of the Elantra Touring or other suggestions
very well come.

Re: Hyundai Elantra Touring???

Depending on the "extras" you're seeking, I've had a Ford Transit Connect since early August, 2010, and recommend it highly. I drive it to/from work daily AND to dog shows on weekends. I get 26-28+ mpg a lot of the time with moderate highway driving conditions; mileage backs off a bit in winter.

I find it to be comfortable enough for daily use, plus having plenty of room for hauling dogs and gear to shows. They're a bit sparse on luxury, but are very efficient in many other ways.

I would look further Kate PHD. Hyundai's are not made as well as most cars. After reading about them on Consumer Reports I wouldn't ever consider one. They're Garbage!

Have you looked at the Volvo, Jeep, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano or Rogue or a little fancier trucks or crossovers with AWD or 4WD? The Lexus 350 is pricey but has lots of xtra;s including a back up camera.

They're much safer. That vehicle only comes in Front wheel drive. I don't know what you would be accomplishing buying it. Bring a crate to the dealerships of your choice and see how they fit and if you can carry 2 crates rear facing or 1 sideways and 1 rear . Happy car shopping.

I already have a van for dog shows. I don't need 4WD for town or highway driving. We have very little snow in my area.

For the new car I am not planning to haul more than one dog to work with me. The dogs I bring to the office and nursing homes are Therapy Dogs, and I don't take more than one at a time. I do need fuel economy and something comfortable for me and the dog because it is 40 minutes through both countryside and city to my office. I want to be safe and for my dog to ride in a crate, rather than loose in the car behind a barrier.

The Hyundai generally has very positive reviews, including safety options and incredibly good warranties. But Elantra Touring versions have been selling so well that I can't find one to test whether one crate will fit in the hatchback and really evaluate
the fuel efficiency.

Have fun looking for what you want. AWD is not only for snow, it holds the road well in rainy or poor road conditions. It helps the car hold the road better, reason many Mercedes and BMW's sedans have AWD today.

Did you consider a hybrid? I have good friends with matching Ford Escape Hybrids with AWD, the AWD is an option. They love them and their gas mileage is great.

Though I would have chosen a mini van myself,because of my husbands influence,I am on my 2nd Hyundai.I can fit 1 crate in it(with the seats down).The Hyundai's have never left me stranded,get 32-34 mpg,and do have great warranties.To carry 1 dog(2 tightly)or pups to work with me,it's great.I still feel I need another vehicle for shows though.As a second car,it's a great choice.

Kathy, Thanks for the first-hand experience, which was
exactly what I wanted. I have a mini-van that will accommodate 3 dogs comfortably and a fourth with some effort; it's a reliable car but the mileage is about 22 mpg in my mixed use driving. What versions of Hyundai have you had?

I looked at the Ford Escape but the listed mileage for a hybrid was not as good as the listed mileage for the Hyundai Elantra. The Escape is just a larger vehicle than I want. It also did not get as good reviews, especially regarding braking system. I have heard that a newly designed model will be available next year, which might be better but too late for my needs.

Both have been Elantra's,the current one being a "sportier"hatchback(which allows me to get a crate in easily).I'll have to check out the Touring as the next possibility!Good luck in your search!