Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Still bleeding 8 days post whelp

At what point would you become concerned with a bitch that has red bloody discharge 8 days after whelping? Not a heavy flow, but fresh red blood. No fever.

Re: Still bleeding 8 days post whelp

Knowing me....I'd have been back at the vets sooner rather than later. Hope your girl is okay!

I've seen it twice. I don't think it's cause to worry unless it's smelly. Placental detachment areas sometimes take longer to heal. Thats what I was told. I can't remember the name for this but it has a medical name. My girl had discharge for three weeks.

I don't think this is abnormal. Just when you think it has stopped, there is a little more. I think it lasts longer after larger litter than one with fewer puppies. I wouldn't be worried, seemed like the last litter or 10 it lasted about 3 weeks

It is called Sub-Involution of Placental Sites or SIPS. I had a girl last year that had that after her c-section for nearly 4 weeks, it wasn't heavy,just fresh red blood and seemed more serous at times ( having a clear fluid ) after a couple of weeks then it gradually slowed. It can be problematic if there is heavy bleeding and I have had a friend that lost a girl to it. Since my girl also had a lateral tear on her uterus I decided not to breed her again as I have her full sister yet to breed. It does tend to happen in younger bitches with their first litter.

This sounds like what it is. It is slowing up a lot. Barely any sign of it this morning. Thank you for all your responses.