Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Road Runner Pharmacy ?

Is anyone willing to share the approximate cost of the
Ponazuril Suspension (2 day treatment for Coccidia) from Road Runner? Planning on talking with my Vet on Wednesday about getting some to have on hand for my next litter, and would like to have as much information to present to him about it. TIA

Re: Road Runner Pharmacy ?

just ordered 4 oz of 159 mg/ml
cost $78.00
.6 per 5 lbs once.

I do two days to be covered.
use it 2 weeks and 5 weeks on each litter with great success

Thank you! Wanted to have all my ducks in a row when I approached my vet. I am not sure he knows about the Ponazuril or if he just prefers to treat with the Albon.
I'm hoping I can get him to call it in for me.

just caught my typo it is 150 mg/ml

there are more articles on line about the use of it. Merivet has a good one to take to him.

There are many compounding pharmacies across the country. I would Google compounding pharmacies and price the Ponazuril Suspension.

When a friend needed a high priced compounded item for her sick dog, her and I called 5 compounding pharmacies. She got a price 3 times lower at one of them. No one else was even close and some won't give prices over the phone. It's worth making a few phone calls to make sure you're getting the best price. They all ship for a small cost.

Road Runner is not the only compounding pharmacy meeting the needs of dogs.

Here is an example of 1 of 100's I found.

http://www.clarkpropharmacy.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX2eo5rTcLU

no but Road Runner is for canines and has pharmacist that can help with canines not humans.

Do you have issue with RR?

no but Road Runner is for canines and has pharmacist that can help with canines not humans.

Do you have issue with RR?

I had no issue with RR at all. They were just priced much higher than another compounding pharmacy when I checked prices for a friend. For a very high priced medication it's worth checking other pharmacies that compound is what I'm saying. Originally, they didn't want to quote a price until the script was sent by fax.

The compounding pharmacy has a canine department and just 1 of many that do. This happens to be in my state and came up towards the top because of that.

What I'm saying is, no matter what medication or items you buy online or by telephone, do your comparison shopping. Don't just rely on 1 companylike Road Runner being the only place you can make a compound medication purchase for the best price & assistence...... I comparison shop for everything I buy.......It pays off.............

Just remember that not all compounding pharmacies are equal. *QUALITY* is way more important than price.

Wendy C. Ernst, DVM
Just remember that not all compounding pharmacies are equal. *QUALITY* is way more important than price.

Wendy, so how are we to know which of the hundreds of Compounding Pharmacies have quality? Is there an agency that oversee's them? How do you suggest doing research on using a compounding pharmacy?

It's great to say it's also Quality v.s. Price but how do we know where the quality is? Just because a certain CP charges more doesn't make them the best.

TIA for any ideas you can share with us that are not in dog medicine.

Good and bad. The 1st is bad, the 2nd is excellent.

Can reviews by the general public be trusted? How do the dog owners know if the medications are compounded correctly?

If vets like Wendy would recommend the compounding pharmacies they feel produce the best quality medications, it would help John Q. Public.

I'm sure there are many more reviews but this is what came up 1st on my Google search thru yellow pages. Good service is 1 of many parts of rating any business where medications are involved. Jmho.

http://www.yellowpages.com/phoenix-az/mip/roadrunner-pharmacy-17062096/reviews

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you. That is exactly the problem with the compounding pharmacies... they are NOT regulated the same way the regular pharmaceutical companies are. There have been huge debates on the quality, consistency and even the legality of the compounding pharmacies.

I have a few that I use when a medication is not available or when the existing sizes of a drug are impossible to dose an animal with and occasionally for cats/small dogs who's owners cannot get pills into them. I chose them based on recommendations from colleagues, presence within the veterinary community (ie they come to the professional meetings, have booths, are happy to talk about how they run their business, etc) and successful history with them. They have a reputation of producing good products. Depending on what I'm ordering I most often will use Road Runner, Diamond Back and Wedgewood. It's not to say that there aren't other quality compounding pharmacies out there but it is not an area where I think comparison shopping for the cheapest price works out. (but then I'm usually always the one questioning *why* is it so much cheaper).
Funny though I spend time every day trying to explain to pet clients why comparison shopping for puppies and going with the cheapest one they find isn't usually the best way to do it.