Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bitches heads

Do female heads grow until what age? Same as males?

Re: Bitches heads

I find my girls' head mature until they are about three. It seems like with each season they mature a little more. I have a lovely girl whose head has never been my favorite, however she just finished a season and will be three next month and I can say her head really has matured in the last few months.

Up to 3 years but pregnancy or hormones can add additional growth past 3 in *some* girls. Most have the majority of their head growth by 3.

If a bitch is spayed young, she may not have as large of a head as she would have if the owner waited until at least 1 season.

It's interesting how many reads there are and only 1 answer before me.

Depends

It's interesting how many reads there are and only 1 answer before me.

Can only speak for myself, but I have been following this post out of curiosity as I have a bitch that I was hoping would develop a slightly bigger/broader head. She's well over 2, but has only had one season so far, so the (few) responses that have been posted so far are giving me a little hope!

Hormones are part of growth in our Labs. If your girl only has been in a heat once, that may be why she hasn't grown the way you would have liked so far.

You might want to check with a repro vet about it. Keep your hope. I would wonder if she didn't have something wrong hormonally. Maybe you should progesterone test her next heat whether you are breeding her or not. Personally, I would attempt breeding her to get her cycle on a roll and perhaps help with normal head growth. You might be surprised what you see in her 6 to 9 months after a litter.

I have a 2 year old that was pick of the litter. Her body was always the best but as she grew her head was not what i hoped for. Since i really liked everything else about her i just waited. The more she matured, the better her head became. Now, at 2 her head is much better and since i have also bred her she has a very pretty face and s sort of "baby glow" to her face. I can't wait to see what her face is in another 6 months. I expect it to be quite pretty.