Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppies & baby sitting

How do breeders not get stressed out when babysitting grandchildren & having puppies at the same time.

I am at a point when I will have to place my dogs because I cannot handle babysitting grand children on a frequent basis & deal with the dogs.

Re: puppies & baby sitting

I'm not sure if you mean you have a litter of puppies and are worried about grand kids hurting them or if you are feeling stressed because of a daily commitment to babysit when you have dogs and puppies that need care.

Too much work is stressful and the older we get the harder it is to chase after little ones, wheather they are children or puppies. I'm sure there are many who will comment that they have beautifully behaved grandchildren who help and are a joy when they have a litter. Everyone's situation and tolerance is different.

I raised my 4 children and worked full time with very little help. I will help with my grandchildren but my first comminment (by choice) is to my husband and the lifestyle we have chosen for ourselves (our Labs)

I agree - while spending time with grandchildren is a priority, you shouldn't have to sacrifice your dogs because you have to babysit while your kids work. Sorry, I was a stay-at-home mom by choice, though when I did work I sent my kids to day-care as I didn't think imposing on my parents was right. It is NOT the grandparents' responsibility to babysit daily, nor should your kids make you feel like it should be. Occasional babysitting (which is what my parents did if we went out once a month or so) is great - but it needs to stop there!

Breeder
I agree - while spending time with grandchildren is a priority, you shouldn't have to sacrifice your dogs because you have to babysit while your kids work. Sorry, I was a stay-at-home mom by choice, though when I did work I sent my kids to day-care as I didn't think imposing on my parents was right. It is NOT the grandparents' responsibility to babysit daily, nor should your kids make you feel like it should be. Occasional babysitting (which is what my parents did if we went out once a month or so) is great - but it needs to stop there!

I think the pups exposure to children is one of the best things they can have. Many of them will go on to homes with children.

If grandkids aren't infants, while you are babysitting let them help you with the pups assigning jobs. The playing job is easy but set up rules prior as to what type of playing is allowed. Child is seated, lifting of pups is not allowed are some examples. Have a child assist you with preparing food.

Make your life easier *if* the children are of the age they can help and they can learn how to be responsible.

If the grandchildren and or the pups are very young, you might have to split your time. If it's too much for you, then be honest with your child. Tell him or her that while you have a litter, babysitting should only be when it's urgent. Once pups go to their homes, you can babysit more if that's what you want to do.

Unless you're talking about going to the grandchildren's home to care for them leaving pups home alone too long. If the pups are too young to be left alone, then say no, you can't leave young puppies unattended or for more than 2 hours.

The way your time is spent should be your choice. I'm sure you <3 your grandkids but you can't put your litter in jeopardy either. Save the babysitting for the times you don't have a litter on the ground and on your terms. Don't feel guilty if you can't handle both. You have a life and hobbies or should, just as your children do. I hope I made appropriate suggestions.

breeder/grandma
I'm not sure if you mean you have a litter of puppies and are worried about grand kids hurting them or if you are feeling stressed because of a daily commitment to babysit when you have dogs and puppies that need care.

Too much work is stressful and the older we get the harder it is to chase after little ones, wheather they are children or puppies. I'm sure there are many who will comment that they have beautifully behaved grandchildren who help and are a joy when they have a litter. Everyone's situation and tolerance is different.

I raised my 4 children and worked full time with very little help. I will help with my grandchildren but my first comminment (by choice) is to my husband and the lifestyle we have chosen for ourselves (our Labs)

Thank you so much for your responce.

The problem is that I am feeling stressed because of a commitment to babysit when I have dogs and puppies that need care.

I babysit grandchildren 2-3 days a week while parents work; and also baby site for other grand children once in awhile.

My litter of puppies should have had homes by now, and they are going on 11 weeks. A couple people backed out due to hardships.

The grand children were great with the puppies when they were younger, but now the puppies want to play a little rougher. I moved the puppies outside to a kennel, and they get pleanty of exersize because we also have a fenced in area, and the grandchildren still want to play with them.

Also, it has been raining, which makes it kinda hard to keep the house & dogs spotlis.

This too shall pass. Just try to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

I know how you must feel. Have you networked to club members and told them you have puppies available? Try to hesitate for just a minute before you readily agree to help your kids with their children. Sometimes we all offer too quickly--wanting to help and then it just becomes too much.

Again, I know how it is...