Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
whoops breeding......what would you do?

Please don't judge me or my post. I am looking for suggestions.
I have a bitch that came into season almost three weeks ago. She is 10 months old. I have had her inside and not running loose with the others on my property. She has been on close watch. Today came home from work early, let the dogs outside like I always do. I let her out with everyone else including my intact male. She growled at him when he gave her a sniff and at that point I figured she was out and they could resume play together. I let them out in the 1/2 acre fenced area out back I have for them and went inside. I checked on them periodically as I always do. About a half an hour went by and I heard screaming. Long and short of it to my dismay there she is tied with my male. I have been in the breed for almost 10 years and never had an oops before. Thoughts?? I will call my vet and find out my options as well.

Re: whoops breeding......what would you do?

In the big scheme of things it isn't end of the world.

We have,

a mid-east crisis,
a terrible economy,
people out of work and losing their homes,
people fighting terrible, even fatal, diseases,
wars and hotspots throughout the world,
terrorists and terrorism,
and I could go on and on and on.

Do consult your vet and remember you bitch's overall health is more important that just her reproductive health. Follow his/her advice.

Be thankful for each day you have and ten years from now when you are facing a much more difficult situation - you won't even remember the time you had an "oops" breeding.

Am I right? Life goes on and we hope happily.

Good luck

Nothing you can do now. I would take her in for a progesterone draw just to see where she is number wise. That way you have some idea of if she was fertile.

That is a great idea. Maybe he was just eager and she is really over it. We will hope for that. Not much you can do. It has happened to alot of breeders.

I have had a male tie a bitch after she's gone out - actually he did it with the same bitch twice. Same thing as with your girl - growling at him and then he gets her anyway. He was very pleased with himself, but no puppies - too late.

Hopefully, that's what happened here. Worst case scenario, she has puppies with lots of support from you. Don' beat yourself up about it.

Had the same thing happen, person in charge of let out didn't realize that my bitch was still fertile and boys and girls went out together!!! Mom wasn't as young but Dad was.

I was extremely embarrassed but a wise friend said about what Anon said, "it's not the end of the world!" Mom conceived, had to scramble around to get clearances squared away. But all went well and all the puppies sold at my regular price. I simply was honest, "when boys and girls live in the same house, sometimes things happen." I told all interested families that this was a breeding that I would have done "next year" but God had other plans!!!

Good luck, it'll work out!!!

Thank you all for the great replies. My male has all clearances. My little girl has only CERF, optigen and EIC. She comes from good, sound orthopedics but you never know. I have also been an active member of our breed club and although I have heard others talk of the "oops" you never think it's going to happen to you.
I will start at my vet on Wednesday. Progesterone is a great idea as that will tell if she actually ovulated and when. Here's hoping she is way out!

24 years and two oops under my belt. Last one was a 16 month old. Family visiting didnt shut a gate.

she had a great pregnancy, great whelp and beautiful litter. I sold each pup with a solid health guarantee.

Hopefully she was to far along, I would not do much but wait it out.

I'd like to share something that happened a few years ago. I was starting a handling class with a new puppy. Two women came in with Parson Russell puppies--very cute. In speaking with them, I learned that the pups were from a whoops litter. Their names? Whooda and Thunkit!
Don't beat yourself up. Stuff happens.

Uncork a bottle of wine & relax. She is or she isn't, so now you have to wait and see. You may get lucky if she was out, but was a pushover for the older boy.

Agree with all the posts. Don't fret and wait it out. What will be will be.

I agree that there's not much you can do about it now, but... She came in "almost 3 weeks ago", why would you think she was out? I've done all of my breedings at almost three weeks along.

I had an "oops"breeding about 25 years ago with an older girl who was 23 days along and no longer standing and a 7 month old puppy who got lucky in about 30 seconds time. She did have two puppies. She hated him for at least six months. So a breeding can happen after a bitch is no longer standing, and in that case puppies resulted. I sold them both to pet homes with my usual guarantees. As it turned out, the dad was OFA good with normal eyes, but one of the pups was dysplastic. I took her back, refunded the purchase price because I didn't want to sell another pup to that family (she was grossly overweight at 10 months) and placed her with a friend. She lived to be 13 or 14 as a healthy family pet. So even if the worse happens, it's not the end of the world.

We had an oops breeding many many years ago. The breeding produced Shadowbrook's Hemingway aka Margaux. Margaux happens to be the mother of our BISS GCH Shadowbrook's McSteamy and CH Shadowbrook's I Am A Doctor!

My advice to you is... sit back and when the time comes keep the cream of the crop. You never know what will happen. Some call it a mistake. I call it destiny!

Best to you and Happy Thanksgiving!
Michael

breeder123
I agree that there's not much you can do about it now, but... She came in "almost 3 weeks ago", why would you think she was out? I've done all of my breedings at almost three weeks along.

The OP breeder asked not to be judged. So why are you criticizing and quoting her? Maybe her girls are bred by Day 10. Your girls may be very different than hers.

I've never had this happen so I offer no advice but good luck.

A similar situation happened to me a couple months back. If you live in or near OH, I would suggest contacting Northview Animal Clinic in North Ridgeville, OH. They are leaders in canine reproduction. They offer a shot that will terminate the pregnancy and is very safe with no side effects unlike Lutalyse. I forgot the name of the drug but they are only one of two vets that can administer it in the US.

You don't even know the name of the drug and you're suggesting it?

Not that I should reply to your rude comments, but I did not have access to my vet records at the time of replying. The vet is the expert and I offered their name for the op to contact. The name of the drug is Alizin.

I'm glad to see this thread I have been in a panic too with perhaps a "whoops". I am not 100% sure yet. We will take her in and see if there are puppies. Your kind statements has made me feel better I was so embarrassed and worried and you are right. thinking about this there are many other things in the world that are things to worry about. My question if the OP can answer is what kind of whoops? Mine is father/daughter and please do not throw stones. Im also interested in that you sold the pups at normal price. Certainly something to think about. I admit im still very worred and concerned though. Thanks for your replies.

26 years and one recent opps. Welcome.

Anon1
I'm glad to see this thread I have been in a panic too with perhaps a "whoops". I am not 100% sure yet. We will take her in and see if there are puppies. Your kind statements has made me feel better I was so embarrassed and worried and you are right. thinking about this there are many other things in the world that are things to worry about. My question if the OP can answer is what kind of whoops? Mine is father/daughter and please do not throw stones. Im also interested in that you sold the pups at normal price. Certainly something to think about. I admit im still very worred and concerned though. Thanks for your replies.

If something is going to rear it's ugly head on the sire's side, you will find out with this breeding. Don't worry about it...what will be will be. Good luck for some gorgeous healthy babies!!!

Not if the sire is butt ugly.
she will have a litter of more butt ugly puppies! Lol

Well
Anon1

If something is going to rear it's ugly head on the sire's side, you will find out with this breeding. Don't worry about it...what will be will be. Good luck for some gorgeous healthy babies!!!

Did the poster suggest using the drug or offer some basic information so the OP would be aware of a possibility to investigate further if interested?

No!
You don't even know the name of the drug and you're suggesting it?

With a thread that has had 847 views and 22 posts I'm a little surprised that no-one previously has pointed out that accident or not a *10 month old* lab bitch is very young to be whelping a litter. At 10 months old she is not at full growth and may have physical difficulty whelping. Additionally at that age they have not yet mentally matured either and mothering skills both during whelping and after are just sometimes not there.
So to be clear, I am not judging and agree with others that these things do happen, however the age of this bitch does need to be considered when the OP is deciding what to do.

Thank you. In my case the bitch is over 2 and has all clearances and the sire does as well. I guess I'm lucky in that at least the sire is a lovely finished champion (ok biased lol) I do agree if there are skeletons on the sire side, I'm sure going to know. Hopefully I'm totally wrong. fingers crossed. My Christmas gift this year.. NO pregnancy. Thank you again everyone. Happy Holidays.

Christmas came early, no puppies. Thank you again everyone for all the comments on this thread. Nice to see people helping each other. Happy Holidays once again.

Phew, now let's hope that Santa gets to Lab Lady Luver's house too??