Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cutting Nails

Is there any truth to the idea that you can keep a dog's nails short for life, so that when they grow they just need occasional cutting but never get really long, if you cut the nails way back when pups are 4 weeks old. Does anyone do this routinely?

Is there any truth to the idea that dogs are fine having nails cut until you make them bleed then they hate it for life?

just trying to get the best info and debunk any breeder legends.

Re: Cutting Nails

I will say this from experience having puppies and being a groomer. Yes, get started right away with trimming the nails as little pups. Be gentle and try not to cut them too short...they will remember! I cradle the pup in my chest and hold them near a window ,so I can see better. I use a human fingernail cutter for the first few weeks. Do this weekly and there may be a time when they start to resist it, but you must continue and get it done being firm, but again gentle without stress. A puppy goes off course(sour) if consistency isn't maintained, or poor handling. Some hate the feeling of toenail clippers no matter what, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't allow you to cut them. I only have to take a smidge if that, off nails after I have them under control. I use the cordless dremel the most on an older puppy to adults. Some dogs naturally have slower growing nails than others', or it's the surface they are on that wears them down(concrete/pavement) and then some just have that shape of foot that seems to have that naturally short thick nail. I have 4 currently that are blessed with those nails.

I don't have that much experience, but after I nicked my girl the first time I clipped her nails, she never allowed me close to her with clippers or a dremel. When she goes in to get her nails trimmed, they actuall charge me EXTRA because she fights them so much.

Don't have an answer on the other question, I trimmed the puppies nails carefully, but never way back.

Lots of experience here. I've gotten the quick a few times, and still the dog has allowed me to clip the nails afterward. My dogs don't care for the Dremel, so I use an actual cutter, and I am very careful, erring on the side of caution and allowing the nails to be a little longer than most people would consider ideal. And yes, I have one dog I never have to cut at all. He apparently has softer nails that wear down on their own. But I know of one instance of a well-trained UD dog owned by an obedience trainer and judge who could not be clipped at home and had to go to the vet, so sensitivity varies.

I struggled for years until I finally got a Millers Forge clipper. Clipping is fast, and now even my most resistant girls are OK with having their nails clipped.

I hate trimming nails. What I do is, start trimming when pups are 4-5 weeks. I use a cat nail trimmer, small and easy to handle. At that time I introduce the cordless dremel. So I trim and dremel once a week. I continue to trim because if the puppy buyer wants to trim or take the pups to a groomer, puppy will be ok with trimming as well as a dremel. As adults I just dremel once a week. I like the look of the nail, you can round them, there are no rough edges. It is so less stressful for me and the dogs. Now they just jump up on the grooming table, and in 5 mins. its done. I agree with El a lot of light and hold the pup close.

breeder
I struggled for years until I finally got a Millers Forge clipper. Clipping is fast, and now even my most resistant girls are OK with having their nails clipped.

Can you post which Millers Forge clipper you are talking about? There are a few different kinds, and I'd like to try one that comes recommended. Thank You!

I start when the pups are one week old. Ya, they squirm a bit, but it is also a good lesson that, if you fuss, what ever you are fussing about only lasts longer. My pups are close to three weeks old, and I will start introducing the Dremel soon. Sound and vibration at this point, no grinding.

Even with boarding dogs, though I give them no option as to whether they will comply with nail trimming/grinding. I am in charge, and it will happen.

This is the clipper that turned my ordeal into no-problem.

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=81715&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=AEDDB8A0F8EE44BFB56DE054E1132F9A

I use these same clippers but if they get dull you need to replace them (as with any clippers I suppose). I think dull clippers put much more pressure on the nail. Also sharp ones allow you to get them even quicker so there is less actual cuts.

breeder
This is the clipper that turned my ordeal into no-problem.

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=81715&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=AEDDB8A0F8EE44BFB56DE054E1132F9A