Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Pano related to ACL rupture????

Thoughts pls??? Just had a call about a 11 month old male who's been diagnosed with an ACL rupture. This dog has a history of PANO (front leg). Owner asked if the two were related and to my knowledge they aren't but thought others may have more current info too.

TIA!

Re: Is Pano related to ACL rupture????

NO

If you post your email address I will reply with some personal experience with this topic.

Tks. I have personal experience too but am looking for more than that and so far in my research....haven't found anything. TIA!

No they are not. ACL rupture is an injury, and Pano is a growth issue.

My personal experience is that they are directly related, but it seems you are not interested.

Hi Flatlander. I'm NOT not interested but looking for documented medical evidence. I appreciate your offer - many tks!

Not in my experience. Never had panoramic in any dogs. Had 2 ruptured CCLs in my large pet-bred male.

CD
No they are not. ACL rupture is an injury, and Pano is a growth issue.

I know a CCL tear is an injury but why do some tear and others don't?

Can you fill me in on what *growth issue* you feel Pano is? I've only seen it once in 20 years.

Me
Not in my experience. Never had panoramic in any dogs. Had 2 ruptured CCLs in my large pet-bred male.

Pano is Panosteitis noT panoramic.

It's good that you know it's the CCL dogs tear not the ACL. It's a common mistake but us breeders should know better.

Flatlander, why do you feel they are related? how would Pano cause a back leg injury?

Perhaps through overcompensation with the rear legs to alleviate pain in the front legs caused the tear. While certain angles in the tibial plateau can predispose a dog to cruciate tears, perhaps this addtl stress accelerated the process. Just a thought.