Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy vision

My puppy is 15 weeks old and still seems to have a problem looking down. She can climb up curbs, but is nervous about climbing down them. If a treat is thrown on the ground, she uses her nose rather than her eyes to locate it (although that is probably normal). She doesn't appear to see a ball that is rolled on the ground unless she is waiting for me to roll it.

Does this sound normal? Thanks, in advance.

Re: Puppy vision

Did you have her eyes checked already? If not I would have them examined on a CERF exam, she could have Persistant Pupillary Membranes, they are like thin sheets of tissue running across the eye. We did have a puppy many years ago that had them, we thought she was blind at 2 weeks but by 6 weeks we could tell she was starting to "see" something at 8 she could see fairly normally. They did clear up quite a bit as she grew but they did have some residual and she did tend to hesitate as well on open stairs or when she was going downstairs(up was fine).

Re: Puppy vision

Thank you so much for the info Tiffany.

To my knowledge, her eyes were never checked, but I will get them done just in case there is a problem. Thank goodness if she does have PPM they will probably improve!