Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Handling/Becoming a handler

I've really had a blast in the show ring thus far in just two outings with my boy, and while at Bare Bones I was asked to handle someone's dog in a practice run around the ring.

It was fun handling a dog aside from my own and I got to thinking about possibly doing some handling on the side for those who prefer a handler to show for them. So, I was just curious as to how one goes about becoming a "professional" - (i.e. is registering with the AKC necessary? Are classes required? etc. etc.). Thanks in advance :)

Re: Handling/Becoming a handler

to becoming a good pro handler. Your best bet is to get to know the handlers in your area and try to get hired as an intern for one of them. You'll work hard, but you'll also learn more than any class could ever offer.

No fast path
to becoming a good pro handler. Your best bet is to get to know the handlers in your area and try to get hired as an intern for one of them. You'll work hard, but you'll also learn more than any class could ever offer.

Ditto, you need to shadow a handler for some time and learn the ropes.

Most true professional handlers apprentice under a big handler for many years before going out on their own, there is a lot more to learn then just going in the ring, proper care or the dogs in all conditions, grooming,to name a few. It is very hard work and they work 24/7. Caring for someone else's dog is a major responsibility.