Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ovitrol

Have any of you used Ovitrol spray for lice?
Do you spray the dogs or the area?
What about pregnant bitches?

Re: Ovitrol

Input Requested
Have any of you used Ovitrol spray for lice?
Do you spray the dogs or the area?
What about pregnant bitches?

I would speak to the company, not to a board. The information could be incorrect. Are you sure you need to spray for *lice* or maybe it's fleas? I never heard of dogs getting lice but I don't camp or take them camping.

I would not expose any pregnant bitch to anything that kills anything else. Use common sense, speak to your vet and Ovitrol but don't go with even my reply. I'm not Ovitrol or a knowlegable vet. I'm an overly cautious 20+ year breeder, especially with a pregnant girl.

I Googled, in 1 stinking minute I found this.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/vet-kem-ovitrol-plus-flea-tick-shampoo-for-dogs-cats.html

Animals
Do not use on pets less than 12 weeks old. Consult a veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, animals on medication, or pregnant or nursing animals. Sensitivities may occur after using ANY pesticide product for pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe your pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately.

Active Ingredients
(S)-Methoprene (CAS #65733-16-6)
1.10%

Pyrethrins (CAS #8003-34-7)
0.15%

Piperonyl Butoxide (CAS #51-03-6)
1.05%

Other Ingredients 98.25%

Total 100.00%

Now use common sense please and learn how to Google the item you want to use to begin with. I'm not nasty, I don't understand why you didn't do this yourself before asking a board that is anon most of the time.

You're welcome.

1. Vet has already contacted Ovitrol and we are still waiting for answers (2 days now).
2. I was trying to see if anyone in the Labrador community has used it.
3. Also hoping that someone out there may have experienced lice. What was their method for ridding with a pregnant bitch.

Hope this explains better what type of responses I am searching for.

I hate 'dangling participles' so here is the response from Ovitrol.

1. It is fine for preg girls. My vet has it in writing.
2. Research found two other products that work as well.
3. Until I was able to hear back ... 7 days ... I sprayed everyone with 50/50 vinegar and water. Which seemed to work as well.

I appreciated the input given to my question.