Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Progesterone Too High to breed

Do you all think 24.2 is too high?
I bred her on 12 and again today but she went way up in a day and a half to 24.2.
Did I probably miss the fertile time?

Re: Progesterone Too High to breed

She's probably not yet ready or just ready.

12 was probably too early. I'd skip today and breed tomorrow then skip another day, and breed again.

24 is way too high...how long have you been breeding?

Breeder

Not if she bred her at a 12 also. I would go ahead and breed again today at 24. She should be well covered.

Post when she has her litter so Breeder knows she was wrong.

Timing
Breeder

Not if she bred her at a 12 also. I would go ahead and breed again today at 24. She should be well covered.

Post when she has her litter so Breeder knows she was wrong.

24 is too high. A waste of time. She probably got her at the perfect timing breeding at 12.

How long have ANY of you been breeding and why don't you understand basic ovulation 101?
The numbers AFTER 5 do NOT matter. It 5 that matters.
They ovulate AT 5. If you don't know when 5 was, you are out of luck. Knowing when 5 was allows you to know when the eggs will be mature and ready for fertilization.

hmmmm
How long have ANY of you been breeding and why don't you understand basic ovulation 101?
They ovulate AT 5. If you don't know when 5 was, you are out of luck. Knowing when 5 was allows you to know when the eggs will be mature and ready for fertilization.

The numbers after 5 does not matter is right and these numbers are different for all dogs.

Shaking my head over this one....bitch can go up by 20+ the day after she hits 5 - 12 or 24 doesn't matter. When did she hit 5??

This is just me, I usually have bred doing one AI chilled semen 3 days post ovulation (we also do vaginal cytologies for cornification as well as progesterone testing) and do a progesterone the day of AI. One breeding I had a girl at 42 nanograms day of AI, 11 puppies resulted.

For lack of ovulation day, do you know day of LH surge??

Others are right, without day of ovulation or LH surge or maybe even a vet who is really good estimating cornification by vaginal cytology, it would be a guessing game where the bitch is at.

Was it a fresh or chilled semen breeding?

Just for the heck of it, if I was playing the guessing game, I'd guess she was post ovulation and day 1 at 12 nanograms and you say next breeding was a day and a half later at 24 nanograms which supposedly would have been day 3 post ovulation, so I would think she was covered.

exactly
hmmmm

The numbers after 5 does not matter is right and these numbers are different for all dogs.

I disagree based on an experience.

I bred 1 of my girls several years ago 12 hours after a 22.1 ng. The stud-dog was only an hour ride away, not the reason I chose him. My girl was only a 4.1 on day 18 exactly 48 hours before the last and 5th progesterone test of 22.1 ng per ml. It was back over 12 hours before the only side by side AI was able to be done due to the owners work schedule.

Outcome, which I did not expect 62 days later was a litter of 7 boys and 3 girls from the 1 side by side AI done after the 22.1 prog. test. Don't always assume those higher no's are too high. Once they reach over 12 ng per ml, the no's could be 3.0 to 5.0 *higher or lower* than the actual no. you're getting from Antech or Idexx. Don't assume it's impossible. If you have access to the boy, do the AI. You might be pleasantly surprised with the looks of your bitch 5 to 9 weeks down the road.

hmmmm

I agree... for what I have heard, numbers after 5 do not matter so much vs. how many day's it was since she was 5. For me I test until I get as close to the #5 and after that I count in days.

If the dog is local and there is no added expense to do one more, why not. If there is an expense to do another breeding SO late, I wouldn't.

Breeder

I laughed so hard at this post. I once got results back and a 26. We bred then and the next morning and had 10 puppies. 24 is not too far past. Its probably perfect.

Breeder
Breeder

I laughed so hard at this post. I once got results back and a 26. We bred then and the next morning and had 10 puppies. 24 is not too far past. Its probably perfect.

That's very similar to my experience. I think some breeders are breeding so early that they miss or have singletons because the semen went in way too soon, around a 5.0. I will never work with a breeder for stud-service again that likes to breed early. It's a waste of time.

Breeder
Breeder

That's very similar to my experience. I think some breeders are breeding so early that they miss or have singletons because the semen went in way too soon, around a 5.0. I will never work with a breeder for stud-service again that likes to breed early. It's a waste of time.

To each their own, who cares what the repo vets say (5-8). We breed starting at 5 and keep very good records- our average litter size from first litter to now is 9+ (all AI). Our largest litter was only 13 and smallest 4. Everyone tries outside the suggested & sometimes you succeed, if the cost is nothing or you can live with the cost; go for it. Progesterone tests are only a tool to help you.

There's really no such thing as too high since you don't know when she ovulated. Last year I did a single AI on the day of a 23.6 progesterone test and got 8 puppies. It all boils down to the number of days post 5 and, ideally, when the numbers double. I'd rather see a jump to 12 than a tiny slide upward of a 6 the day following 5.

When I did a frozen implant, Dr. Hutchison had me come to Cleveland the third day from ovulation, checked her again that morning. He wanted her at 20 for the implant.

Where could I find more information on progesterone testing and timing, thanks in advance!

I don't believe 24 is to high to get her bred. I have bred ALOT of girls that were 21 or higher and didn't bred them till 2 days later and had 10 - 12 puppys.
I have a bitch now that is bred and when I did the prog. test she was a 60.2. Yes thats right, 60.2 and right now she is 36 days from AI and I already have a belly. So she is cretainly bred and I sure a good size litter since there is a good size belly.
JMHO

Tammy Farrington
I don't believe 24 is to high to get her bred. I have bred ALOT of girls that were 21 or higher and didn't bred them till 2 days later and had 10 - 12 puppys.
I have a bitch now that is bred and when I did the prog. test she was a 60.2. Yes thats right, 60.2 and right now she is 36 days from AI and I already have a belly. So she is cretainly bred and I sure a good size litter since there is a good size belly.
JMHO
I'm happy for you Tammy! This is proof sometimes some girls are bred entirely too early and the low 20's is not too late with most girls. Good luck with your girl and litter.

Breeder

I've been breeding for many years, and the only times I've done progesterone on the day of breeding, it was well over 40...one girl, was 60.7, and had 11 puppies 60 days later.

breeder2002
Breeder

I've been breeding for many years, and the only times I've done progesterone on the day of breeding, it was well over 40...one girl, was 60.7, and had 11 puppies 60 days later.

I agree. Last year a friend of mine did progesterone draws on her girl 2 and 4 days after ovulation (the days we bred her). They were 22 and 40. She had 11 puppies.

The numbers don't matter after they ovulate. It's all a matter of pinpointing the ovulation.