Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting gruel

When first starting to feed gruel, how often do you present ot to the puppies? My three week olds got their first gruel last night and you would think they were starving. No problem recognizing what it was! Same today for a "lunch". I am letting them eat their fill each time.

TIA

Re: Starting gruel

I usually do it twice a day if they act like they're starving.

what do you mix for starting gruel ???

hungry tikes

Ground up puppy food and water. Adding anything else is unnecessary and is just another ingredient that the digestive system will have to get used to (only to be removed later).

One part ground kibble, one part pulverized Honest Kitchen and one part reconstituted goats milk Esbilac. Additional water added to get to desired consistency.

I like to keep it as simple as possible at first. Add other stuff later if you want. Don't forget that mom is still nursing. That is why I start with 1 meal per day even if they chow it. Mom is still providing most of what they need. But only for a couple of days and then I go to 2 meals per day for a while.

num num
hungry tikes

Ground up puppy food and water. Adding anything else is unnecessary and is just another ingredient that the digestive system will have to get used to (only to be removed later).