Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC Swab not delivered?

I'm tracking my Registered Mail online with Canada Post to the US. It shows it is cleared through Customs back on Nov 14th - but there have been no updates from Canada Post. I check my tracking info on USPS and it shows it ready for shipment but has been like that since the 15th.
My question, is my over 10 day old swab no good now to use for testing if it were to arrive by chance on Monday or should I just send out a new swab ?

Re: EIC Swab not delivered?

According to Ingen it is (-: Sorry, I couldn't help myself

Did you email the lab? I think the swabs should be okay, as long as they were packaged correctly.

Swabs will be just fine, as you are sending dried saliva for DNA extraction. Do you watch CSI? You can extract DNA out of all sorts of things YEARS later!

I hope they get there soon for you.

Cannot say for sure & would also recommend that you e mail to ask but I do believe that cooler weather is better for the swabs in the mail. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that hot weather can sometimes cause mold or bacteria.

I had some CNM swabs get caught up in a mail strike for several days in France a few years ago, and they were still fine after 2 wks or so.

My friend is going through the same thing. He took a swap from his Labrador and sent it. Didn't hear anything so he started to check were it was and it seems like it's lost somewhere in the states! They can't find any track of where it is. Hopefully they can find it soon so he wont have to do another swap.

I'm not sure you will see the trail on Canada Post once it clears customs. I was told to log into the United States Postal service and track it that way. I've never had any luck once it crosses the border. Call the Lab on Monday Tina and ask.

i sent swabs to DDC from Canada about 10 days ago through the regular mail less than 2.00 to send ,. i have received email confirmation that they have received them ., LeeAnne

The USPS is bad about updating tracking. The swabs are probably there already.

Thanks guys....
A few points to reply to...I have never had luck with important things in the mail, neither from Canada to US, or even within Canada. Everytime it's something important, it gets lost. I specifically went into Canada Post, asked best option that I can track, and was advised Registered Mail . $14 later, did it! I called DDC on Wednesday , and they told me they'll email me when it arrives. Never asked if the swab will still be good though.
Called Canada Post and they told me that once it crosses thru the border, it's USPS to track it. No problem, however, they told me Registered Mail is only confirmation of Sending and Receiving. No progress located on the site, I should have used Express Post for that. :-(
Someone will be paying for another swab if it's lost.
DDC will email me though once it arrives.
- was it dried saliva someone asked? , it was saliva but I swabbed and packaged! Not sure how dry it was LOL.
Good to hear the temps may be cool enough to keep it good. So long as it doesn't freeze out a hidden coat colour since I opted to do that along with the EIC test. LOL... don't want surprises with chocolate in the future ...it'll be nice to know he's By vs pure for black, but shouldn't be chocolate.
Hopefully it's just not tracked in the systems, and arrives Monday, otherwise i'll call DDC and tell them i'm sending another swab, not to process twice!

Thank you everyone!

Re: EIC Swab delivered

Well, Registered Mail via Canada Post & USPS have delivered today.

Our swab will be good for testing. Anxious for the results of course... but thank you again everyone for the insight for me!