Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy shot mishap

The puppy is just short of 12wks old, was giving him his third puppy shot, was injecting and he leaped forward causing some of the medication to run down his shoulder. Not sure how much he actually got in him, have a feeling most ran out, but I could be wrong. So the question is, when should I try to give him another shot safely ? My vet won't be back until tuesday to ask him.

Re: puppy shot mishap

If you think about it, you will realize the same dosage in those tiny vials is used for toys breeds and giant breeds. If a lot or even all of the vaccine was lost, you should be safe to give a second dose. I have had to do this twice.

When did you give the 1st and 3nd rounds. Usually, I don't give the 3rd round to closer to 16 weeks (8 + 4 + 4). Depending on when you started and how far apart you have been spacing them, you might still be fine from the last shot.

BreederX
The puppy is just short of 12wks old, was giving him his third puppy shot, was injecting and he leaped forward causing some of the medication to run down his shoulder. Not sure how much he actually got in him, have a feeling most ran out, but I could be wrong. So the question is, when should I try to give him another shot safely ? My vet won't be back until tuesday to ask him.

1st shot was 6wks, 2nd was 9wks. I got the puppy here at 10wks of age. I belive the pups were weaned from mom by 6wks of age.

I am sure the vet will tell you to give another shot. You should do what the vet says.

But, if there is a shot at 9 weeks and the protocol is every 3 - 4 weeks, then without the potentially missed shot the pup is good until 13 weeks old. The most important shot is the one after 14 weeks anyway. Especially if you think you got some of the vaccine in the pup, I'd be tempted to wait until 14 weeks and call it a day.

Of course, if you are an active show home or go to the city park with lots of chances for infections, you might want to do one at 13 weeks and another at 16 or 17 weeks.

BreederX
1st shot was 6wks, 2nd was 9wks. I got the puppy here at 10wks of age. I belive the pups were weaned from mom by 6wks of age.

Wait 2 weeks and do the next one. The immune system of the puppy is going to react to whatever went in. If he got shot 1 and 2 at 3 weeks apart, he'll be fine.