Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oxygen in a can

I found this while I was shopping for some kind of oxygen to have at hand to resuscitate newborn puppies. Any experience with this oxygen in a can?
http://www.oxygeninacan.com/?gclid=CIDgs5fc16wCFQ1X7AodLE3uqw
Any ideas where I can get some small emergency tank of Oxygen?

Re: Oxygen in a can

I am sorry, totally off topic, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the post title was this scene in Space Balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiabeNR_q0U

at 2 am when you are whelping a litter and see babies need a boost. I know large volume breeders who have a small oxygen tank. My last litter I lost half the puppies. I had talked about finding a source for oxygen before my girl whelped...wish I had. Just giving this post a bump in hopes for some replies.

For only twice that price, I'd see if your vet can get you a prescription for a small tank from a local surgical supply house. Some folks get an oxygen concentrator, used, off ebay or a medical supply house, so they don't have the worry of storing O2. In a power failure situation, I don't know how long the concentrator would work. The regular tank and regulator don't need any power, not even batteries. The little can on your link would not provide sustained blow-by oxygenation, nor much of a masked oxygen boost. I don't know what the concentration of oxygen would be coming out of the little can, if it would be worthless or even too strong. Myra Savant used to recommend getting a welder's tank, but I heard folks were worried that there could be metal shavings in it. I haven't a clue if that is a real worry, as I am not a welder! She describes it in the book, Puppy Intensive Care. I have also used my oxygen tank to give oxygen to the dam, so that I hope to help the puppies still in placenta in utero, just as was done for me and my babies when I was giving birth.

I am a VERY low volume breeder, and I have used oxygen successfully--two of the pups are now 8 years old. I wish that I had a tank with me when I went with a friend to a vet for a middle of the night section--we lost the little girl, as we were not in the surgery room: he brought the girl out to us, and then scurried back to the dam. She was a gasper until she got oxygen, and died a couple days later, in spite of all efforts. I don't know if the 20 minute delay in getting her oxygen made things even worse for her chances. In a rare breed, losing the only girl was a real blow. I did use an incubator once, with oxygen in it, as outlined in Myra's book, but that pup did not make it. The ones who just need a few minutes or even hours oxygen after a long birth are strong pups worth saving. Conversely, my repro vet has an incubator/oxygen cage set up just for pups delivered by section, unlike the other vet my friend used. Strong or not, they go in there after they have been cleaned and revived. Comparing it to two sections in two breeds at two vets without that, I found it very good for the pups, and can't hurt.

It is cheap insurance, as pups need to breathe. Just remember that it is VERY flammable, and probably not a good idea for breeders who might forget and light a cigarette. I whelp in the kitchen sometimes, but my stove is electric and I don't use candles very much, and certainly not then! Just be sure to not cause damage by giving too strong a concentration of oxygen, and learn how to use it properly.

Any nurses or doctors who know a lot more than I do want to chime in? Thanks.