Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chemical Neutering??

I understand that the opportunity to Chemically Neuter will be available in the US on Jan 1 2012... Neutersol... I am in Canada. Not available here but has been in Europe for a few years.. Trials are being run in our County now...
I belong to a S&R group and our team has been having this done on their male dogs (not labs) when they are in Europe for some years. I am considering it for my boy...4 yrs old, champion and lovely.... I am hoping for a little bit more focus ... and I understand all the training issues involved with open males... So, my question is and maybe this is inappropriate to ask a mainly US audience (as it will be new to you as well) Does anyone have any experience with this? Any Experienced Thoughts?

Re: Chemical Neutering??

Neutersol(r) was on the US market in 2003, and there were some difficulties with the manufacturing partner so then it was off the market, then FDA approved again in 2009, the technology has been sold to Ark sciences who is planning a FEb 2012 US launch.

Re: Chemical Neutering??

Unlike surgical castration, puppies treated with Neutersol retain their testes. Testosterone production is not completely halted following the bilateral injection though testosterone blood levels are reduced by 41% to 52%. Because of the presence of testosterone, the risk of diseases processes promoted by testosterone, e.g. certain prostatic diseases and testicular or perianal tumors, may remain unaltered. Also, male behaviors such as roaming, marking,
aggression, or mounting in dogs may not be reduced as effectively as following surgical castration.

This is what I found when I looked it up, so it would seem the reason for doing it with your male at this age are moot as it wouldn't have the desired effect. Given he is doing such a demanding job of S&R I would be more inclined to keep him intact with the testosterone aiding in keeping his muscle mass.
Interesting to note I have had friends that have neutered their older males/boys thinking it would decrease their behaviors when females in season are around and it did not. In my experience unless you neuter them early it doesn't change them very much. My neutered at 1.5 years old JRT male could tie my JRT bitch in 2.2 seconds.He was a good tracker though ;)!!!