Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ear sucking puppy

I need some new ideas to stop a 4 months old ear sucking puppy. I've tried spraying the ears with bitter apple. I think it has now become an acquired taste. I sure could use some help with this one.

Re: Ear sucking puppy

Well I have nearly a whole pack ( only those related) that love to ear suck.
The only solution I find that works is good obedience training and the command "leave it".

Of course it doesn't work when you are not there to reprimand them.... Good luck!

What has worked for me in cases for sucking ears, all the way to chewing moldings or corners. Get a spray can of Off or 6/12 that we use to repell bugs on humans, and spray on the surface you don't want touched. . No it's not poison, but will repell their mouth to it. If ever you got any of that spray in your mouth you will know how bitter it is and it will also numb your tongue. Works as long as the spray lasts on the surface. To spray other dogs ears just a very light spray on the ear flap. Good luck.

Can you separate them?

Maybe they will outgrow it?

In my past life I was a wildlife rehab person. I had many, many babies of many different species that were 'suckers'. Most of the time they sucked wienies though (maybe size difference). They all out grew it however.

That being said, I have one pup that wienie sucks one any available male sibling.

The dogs whose ears are being sucked on are a 2 year old and a 3 year old. Separating them would not work for a variety of reasons. I definitely will try the bug spray. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Dear Good Idea.

Yes, that is absolutely a good idea! Maybe a great idea! The Off works better than all the anti-chew products put together. It does taste awful. I found that out after I was petting a dog and a bit of repellent transferred onto my hand, after which my hand touched my mouth.

Plus this stuff seems to last for 2 or 3 days. So even when I forgot to apply more, it was still working. I think the ear sucking puppy will be totally cured very soon.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Hmmmm.......wonder if it would work if sprayed onto poop piles - as an eating deterrent! LOL! Good Idea, you may be on to something here......

LOL wait till someone patients it as a dog repellant and then suggests it's also good to repel bugs! Happy it works for you as well as it works for me.