Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
right day to breed

my girl came in early while I was out of town, had her tested Monday was 2.35, did again wednesday was 4.8 now the magic question is do I do another one or know that she has ovulated by today and breed her ??or what day would you suggest please.. Have a sub vet in place of my vet today...not too helpful

Re: right day to breed

Unless you know from past experience that her numbers soar and it's best to breed her early, I would do the first AI on Friday followed by a second AI on Sunday, this way she should be covered from Friday to probably early Tuesday - longer is you are using fresh not chilled.

Hi there.....are you using chilled semen or fresh. That always makes a difference for me. If I'm doing chilled, I breed a little bit later.

Remember that 5 isn't necesarily the "magic" ovulation number. Most bitches ovulate between 5 and 10.

If it's a chilled breeding I would do another test today to see if she's skyrocketing or hanging out around 5. Once they skyrocket, they have ovulated.

If she's skyrocketed, I would breed Saturday and Monday.

If she's only at a 5.7 or something like that, I would breed Monday and Tuesday.

Remember that after she's ovulated, her eggs still need 24 to 48 hours to mature. In my experience I have seen more large litters when we breed a little "too late" according to the bitch owner. I think this is because the semen is still healthy and kicking when the eggs are ready.

Good luck with your litter!

I did an A-I last time with her and no pups, this time I have the male here so plan on fresh, so would you wait until friday still or later, thanks for your help

For fresh I breed early. The semen will live a long time and I totally subscribe to the old wives tale about breeding early for girls. I've done AIs as early as LH surge with fresh semen.

My last litter I AI'd with fresh semen on LH day and ovulation day. 11 puppies, 7 girls.

If you have unlimited access to this boy I would even breed her today. (that's just me)

Good luck!

need the right answer please
I did an A-I last time with her and no pups, this time I have the male here so plan on fresh, so would you wait until friday still or later, thanks for your help

If the male is there, what's he saying? I'm sure he's alot more accurate than an artificial test.

What time was it when the blood was drawn on Wednesday? If it was done durning daytime I would bet the ranch it was 5.0 before the day was over. If it was drawn in the evening, it should be up to 5.0 on Thursday.

What I have done for the last couple of years is a single breeding 3 days after 5.0. So, if she were mine, she would be bred on Saturday, and that would be it.

she was done at 2pm on wednesday, so she should be over 5 today but to be sure took her back for another this morning at 11am. Will see what the numbers are tomorrow and plan to breed Friday ??? will also see what the stud thinks too. I thank everyone for their input and hope for babies. Happy Holidays to everyone

My bitch came back 4.6 on a Wed. and I bred her Fri. and Sat. (Sunday was not an option at the time). She is now huge with puppies.

my girl came in early while I was out of town, had her tested Monday was 2.35, did again wednesday was 4.8 now the magic question is do I do another one or know that she has ovulated by today and breed her ??or what day would you suggest please.. Have a sub vet in place of my vet today...not too helpful

I don't recommend breeding until a 5.0 or over is seen. You're close but, she's not a 5.0 or more and could stall or drop.

Normally, you want to breed days 2 & 4 from a 5.0. Not every bitch or heat cycle is the same and I agree, 5 to 10 is ovulation. Usually 5 to 8. Some get lucky not testing until a 5 or over, others don't.

I hope your vet is back in tomorrow, if not get a good repro on the phone even if you need to pay something for a consult. ~Jmo.

got my girls prog # back from Thursday morning and she was 7.8 plan on breeding her Saturday and Monday sound OK ?? thanks for all the help

got my girls prog # back from Thursday morning and she was 7.8 plan on breeding her Saturday and Monday sound OK ?? thanks for all the help

A good thing you did test again. She didn't zoom up from that 4.8 ng. Sounds like a good plan to me but get others opinions too.

This is just why breeding based on below a 5.0 can turn out poorly. Either a miss or a smaller litter. I've heard of litters of 1 or 2 where the stud-dog's semen that isn't a 99% count after travel in extender is blamed. Many times the blame should be on the planning of the bitch-owner. Everyone needs to be on the same page, bitch-owner can ask the stud-owner their opinion. Most don't and rely on their vet or repro only. Get everyone's opinions, after a 5 and that's Jmo. Wishing you a successful breeding and many pups in 9 weeks.

I forgot you have access to the boy. You could even begin tonight as you have the male there or give him a morning delite.

I would breed twice more after whatever time you choose for the 1st breeding every 36 hours with a total of 3 breedings. With him being there, why not load her with semen?

Have you collected him and checked his semen this week? Make sure you check his semen from each breeding or at least the 1st one.

Have fun collecting him. He must be getting antsy by now.

thanks for the encouragement, I did have the stud's sperm ck on Monday and lots of swimmers so we will see how the party goes in the morning, going for a natural breeding first and see how it goes crossing my fingers for pups..thank you again

with the male there you can eaisly cover a 8-10 day period with 2 -3 breedings , start ealy and finish late , just count