Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chewed whiskers

When I picked up my puppy at the age of 8 weeks old, I was dismayed to discover that her whiskers had been chewed off and she was left with stubbly bits which scratched my face when I held her close.

Does anyone know if they will ever grow properly?

Re: Chewed whiskers

Yes, they will.

Puppies can be nasty to other puppies.

Thanks! That would be great!

I asked because a previous (adult) lab that I owned had her whiskers chewed off by another lab. Sadly, they didn't grow back.

Puppy owner

I asked because a previous (adult) lab that I owned had her whiskers chewed off by another lab. Sadly, they didn't grow back.

This is very bizarre to read. I've taken whiskers off many dogs for years when showing in All-Breed competition; never had them not grow back? whiskers also shed like coats, or can be pulled out, and always grow back.

Are you sure they were chewed off by another dog, or might your dog have had a weird form of alopecia of the whiskers only???.......

Wag The Dog (1)
Puppy owner

This is very bizarre to read. I've taken whiskers off many dogs for years when showing in All-Breed competition; never had them not grow back? whiskers also shed like coats, or can be pulled out, and always grow back.

Are you sure they were chewed off by another dog, or might your dog have had a weird form of alopecia of the whiskers only???.......

That does sound odd. I wouldn't worry, those whiskers have a 99 % chance of growing back if not more. As Wag said, pups are tough on each other.

It's all in play but that's why it's time for them to go to their furever homes at 8 to 9 weeks unless you're unsure who you want to keep.

Wag The Dog (1)
Puppy owner

No kidding?????

I know for sure that they were chewed as I took her to visit a lab breeder friend who told me (after the fact) that one of her dogs was in the habit of chewing off whiskers!

I understand; I'm not saying that your dog DIDN'T get it's whiskers chewed off.

What I'm saying is that whiskers are not a one-shot deal; they are like the dog's coat - they fall out, or get cut off, or pulled out, or chewed off, but they WILL regrow.

I don't understand why your dog didn't ever have whiskers again after getting them chewed off???

whiskers are hair. Everything that apply to hair applies to whiskers

Wag the Dog (1)
I understand; I'm not saying that your dog DIDN'T get it's whiskers chewed off.

What I'm saying is that whiskers are not a one-shot deal; they are like the dog's coat - they fall out, or get cut off, or pulled out, or chewed off, but they WILL regrow.

I don't understand why your dog didn't ever have whiskers again after getting them chewed off???

I didn't mean to be rude. My "no kidding" remark was in response to your comment that they will grow back because I always assumed that my previous adult dog was normal in her inability to grow back her whiskers {LOL}

She did have whiskers afterwards, but they were stubby, stunted little things......