Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Afghanistan Rescue

My son works in Afghanistan, a truly horrid place for dogs and women. Well about a month ago my son heard a noise under one of the military construction trailers and after some patience, saw a starving bitch heavy with milk crawl out. He of course started feeding her and so did some of the other guys, the 8 pups are now out of the nest and need to be rescued. In this country they hate dogs and kill them usually by clubbing them when they can catch them. My son put out the word that anyone who touched these dogs would be fired and removed from the base and then he would come looking for them. However these dogs need to get out of there soon. I have told him to just figure out a way to get them to the states and I will take it from there and find them good homes. I believe 2 of the (human) guys will be coming home soon and each guy has offered to bring a crate containing 2 pups each. I have no idea where they will land, could be Boston, could be DC. I am trying to get Mama dog out too as she is very sweet. I can manage it if they land here in New England but if they land somewhere else I may need to call for help getting them to me.
This is just a heads up on this rescue and there is a rescue group in Istanbul also being very helpful.

Re: Afghanistan Rescue

I'll help if they come to Boston. Jen

If they come into Bragg, we'll go get them.

Lois, if they come into the D.C. area I can probably help out and/or possibly get others to help. So many of the animals over there are treated horribly; bless your son for helping the momma and her babies. Of course the dogs give back to our service men, women and contractors serving there....something that brings a since of normalcy to an unforgiving land.

Hi Lois I can Cover Dullas, No.Va
www.brooklandlabs.com

Please be careful when importing these kinds of dogs. There have been reported cases of rescue groups bringing dogs in from the Middle East with rabies. Also, make sure there is a good quarantine time frame so no communicable diseases are transmitted.

It's not an easy task to get the dogs out of there but it can be done. Contact your local assemblyman, senator, congressman and ask for help getting past some of the red tape that isn't health related.

Good luck and your son deserves more than a pat on the back.