Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much should a four month old puppy sleep?

My 17 week old puppy seems to sleep a lot which I find a tad worrying. She has 4 new teeth coming in, so maybe that is it.

Should I be letting her run after my adult dog when she retrieves her ball? The pup enjoys it and the adult slows down when she has picked up the ball so that they can run together. I make the pup sit out some of the throws so that she doesn't overdo it and they have one session lasting about 15 minutes most mornings and a walk to the play area which takes 15 minutes there and back

The puppy plays with the adult inside the house 2 or three times a day involving a little chasing around the coffee table, and some mouth wrestling.

They get another 20 minute walk in the afternoon which is very sedate and the pup likes to sniff and trot along carrying something in her mouth.

This pup sleeps in the living room from 6 pm until bedtime and then all night in her crate until 7 am.

She has frequent naps for an hour or so at a time, only waking up when we open the fridge door!

Does all this sound normal?

Re: How much should a four month old puppy sleep?

Puppy Owner - I think you're a bit too worried about every little thing - sleeping, whiskers, etc... My advice is to stop worrying and enjoy your puppy. Don't let her play too roughly with the adult as the adult could hurt her inadvertently. Also, allow the adult to get away from the puppy when she is tired of playing with the puppy.

Have fun with her!

Thanks breeder.

I AM a worry wart! I just want to do the best I can for her. I always supervise her when she plays with the adult dog and break it up if things get rough. I'm just not sure how much (running) exercise she should have. She is a sweetie and I do enjoy her :-).

The whisker thing is rather silly. My hubby is the one who is concerned about that. Still, I learned something new by asking the question :-)

Well, as far as amount of exercise, I don't do any forced exercise with puppies - like walking a distance to a park. I prefer free exercise where the puppy can rest whenever they get tired.

Give your pup a kiss and just be practical with her!