Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Behavior behind fences

Why would a dog be aggressive towards other dogs whether the dog is behind a fence or when the dog is in her crate. No other times does this dog show aggression. Not out and about, in PetSmart. And, its not just strange dogs, its her companions at home. Any ideas? Thank you

Re: Behavior behind fences, what happened to behavior?

What happened to my question?

In my 25 years of professional kennel work ( boarding and training) LABS are the worst fence fighters!!! my show bred dogs and my field bred dogs included.....

We have one of those. She is aggressive to the other dogs and really gets in one of the other girls face. She usually does this when we have been somewhere and are coming down the drive. Some times she will do this in the yard for no reason. She was a shy puppy and I think it is a fear aggression type thing. She picks on her dam mostly. It really irritates me. We have started penning her up when we leave so she can't do this when we get home and can't do anything about it since we are in a car and she is inside the fence. I thought about getting one of those big water guns to shot her with.

Re: Behavior behind fences

I find with the Labs they find it fun. Plus they prefer to make sure everyone know's they are out and not the others. I have started teaching the command "do no engage!" I use when someone is out and whoever is kenneled or crated starts it they are never to engage when they are not confined. I do not feel one on a lead or lose needs to fence fight.

They do seem to get joy out of it.

irritating
We have one of those. She is aggressive to the other dogs and really gets in one of the other girls face. She usually does this when we have been somewhere and are coming down the drive. Some times she will do this in the yard for no reason. She was a shy puppy and I think it is a fear aggression type thing. She picks on her dam mostly. It really irritates me. We have started penning her up when we leave so she can't do this when we get home and can't do anything about it since we are in a car and she is inside the fence. I thought about getting one of those big water guns to shot her with.

Are you talking about fence fighting or face to face fighting ,aggression?
FENCE FIGHTING is different. I have a show male here , who is very mild , can meet ANY dog face to face with a lower than level tail, but put him behind a fence and you would think he was Cujo.

Re: Behavior behind fences

Dogs will do exactly what they are ALLOWED to do. Correct the behavior , and be consistant.
This occured at my kennel in the play yards, I had two yards with a fence down the middle seperating them, out of boredom, the race up and down the dividing fence occured daily, I removed the dividing fence, and now everyone goes out together, no issues of any kind. Habits are easily made, intervention is the key.
If your dog does this to other dogs , while walking, or to another dog while in it's crate, this dog believes that it is the leader of the pack, which means YOU are NOT ! Correct this dog, firmly, and set this dog up constantly in similar situations, so the correction can be reinforced regularly. HAPPY TRAINING !

I'm talking fence to fence. Not the least bit aggressive face to face. She was not a shy or fearful puppy.

The dog who is inside the fence, crate, car etc is protecting their space, as they should. The ones outside are just antagonizing. THEY are the ones who should be corrected, not the one doing the patrolling.

Don't we want them to have that protective nature?

I think someone needs to re-read their standard....
here's some help for you if you are not sure where to find it, which you must not be if you made that statement.
http://thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_contents.php?page=Breed+Standard

"Temperament
True Labrador Retriever temperament is as much a hallmark of the breed as the "otter" tail. The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog. Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized."

another reason..
The dog who is inside the fence, crate, car etc is protecting their space, as they should. The ones outside are just antagonizing. THEY are the ones who should be corrected, not the one doing the patrolling.

Don't we want them to have that protective nature?

Protective is NOT synonymous with aggressive!!!!

I have one also that seems to love to irritate everyone when she is put int he kennel. I was thinking of putting up a bark box near this area. This way there was a sort of instant correction when this behavior starts.

anyone used this?

There's nothing more fun than a good ole fence fight- frolic here. It's kind of like "let's see who can deafen who". There's zero aggression involved and the minute a gate opens or the fence is gone, it's a ton of wagging tails all saying "yee haw, let's run together".

What is a bark box? Sorry if this is a dumb question in advance.

You're right, as soon as the gate is opened, it's play time. She just sounds so ferocious.

It is usually over the minute they are all together...but it is so irritating to listen to. I found in my kennel it was a learned behaviour. I did not have this issue until I got an older bitch from a friend and I quickly found she was a rabid fence fighter. She did not stay...for other reasons but her teachings have.

The only way I have found that works is prevention..avoid putting them in the situation. That and removing the offenders from my kennel population.

Rotate sides of fence, crates, kennels, etc. It keeps them from getting too fond of their side, area, etc. Don't allow it, it has potential to develop to more in some dogs.

We have several paddocks for the dogs to play in and then one long stretch that we call the outside yard. Most of the time this one is not used, except for a romp in the snow or for use in field training exercises. But, if I do let a group out there while I am cleaning or hosing, etc., they run the fence and thumb their noses at the dogs in the other yards. They are teasing them and showing off because they are in the big yard and the others are jealous. Happens all the time.