Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
midwest puppy price

I seldom breed and when I do I always wonder what to ask for my pups. I don't want to undersell other reputable breeders and don't want to turn away good families by asking too much.

Breeders in my area (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan) have given me prices of $600 (both parents champions!) to $1250. What is about right for this area?

Re: midwest puppy price

I know of no reputable show breeder who sells for $600 - that was my price 10 years ago (I'm in Illinois). I sell my puppies for $1000.

$900 - $1100

I'm in michigan and I tell people $1000-1500 for the area.

10 yrs ago we purchased a chocoalte show quality bitch puppy from a top breeder judge in Ohio for $800.00. I wouls think that $1000.00 would not be unreasonable for the mid west area.

Ohio / spay /nueter puppies /both parents BISS ch. $1200 I have one litter per year, and these puppies are worth every penny, pampered pet homes only need apply .

Iowa - $900 - $1200

What did your stud fee cost? I typically charge the equivalent. My last breeding's stud fee was slightly higher, so I was charging more then the last time around, and had no trouble selling the pups.

I am not sure where Okla fits in the states order, but we sold the last litter for $1200. No one that called was surprised, seemed all had done some research ( which is good) and knew that was about the going price. We sold pups to Iowa, LA, AZ, MO,TX, KS and one in OK. People had no problem driving to pick up. At first I was concerned since at 2 weeks we hadn't sold any, but by 6 weeks they were all sold.

How can they show and sell puppies for $600. I would be way bellow selling for that price. My price is $1500.

ouch
How can they show and sell puppies for $600. I would be way bellow selling for that price. My price is $1500.

They are university professors and must make plenty of $$. Dogs are primarily handler shown to championship. They do performance also - really nice breeders/kennel.

Thanks so much for all the replies! With stud fee and surgical insemination, $600 would not go far!

okies
I am not sure where Okla fits in the states order, but we sold the last litter for $1200. No one that called was surprised, seemed all had done some research ( which is good) and knew that was about the going price. We sold pups to Iowa, LA, AZ, MO,TX, KS and one in OK. People had no problem driving to pick up. At first I was concerned since at 2 weeks we hadn't sold any, but by 6 weeks they were all sold.

I don't have puppies now but when I plan a litter, I always worry that I'll be able to find good homes for them at a reasonable asking price. Since your buyers were from several different States, how did they find you? Where did you advertise -- if you did -- or was it word of mouth, web site, etc. ?

A very long time ago, an old breeder who was primarily a field trial person told me that the price of my puppies would be stud fee -to start with. It was a insult to the stud dog to charge for the average puppy in a good litter below the stud dogs service price. I've explained that many times to my pet buyers and todays fees, a least for me in my area here in Canada, are pretty much on par with that.
Breeders will charage what they will and their rationale on price might not be your own.