Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thryoid level breeding bitch

I have a 4 year old maiden bitch that I will plan to breed this spring. Probably the only litter from her due to life circumstances. I want to be able to get her pregnant. Had thyroid tested last week. 1.6 which is within normal (normal range Idexx says 1-4). Is this adequate for a breeding bitch? I only have 1 experience with thyroid in a bitch we could not get preg. and she was 1.3

Re: thryoid level breeding bitch

NP
I have a 4 year old maiden bitch that I will plan to breed this spring. Probably the only litter from her due to life circumstances. I want to be able to get her pregnant. Had thyroid tested last week. 1.6 which is within normal (normal range Idexx says 1-4). Is this adequate for a breeding bitch? I only have 1 experience with thyroid in a bitch we could not get preg. and she was 1.3

1.6 is normal if 1.0-4.0 is what Idexx says is normal range for their testing. But which thyroid test did you do? A full panel, TSH or T-3? T-4? Ideally if you're worried about thyroid, you should have done a full panel. It's much less expensive with Jean Dodds, under $100 plus your shipping.

I wouldn't anticipate a problem unless this girl is closely related to your *1.3* girl. If she is, I don't understand why you would want the same difficulties that could be passe dpwm repeatedly.

If you do have difficulties with her getting pregnant discuss it with a repro vet then. There's no way to know until you try. Make sure everything else is in order and maybe do the full panel before breeding her. For all you know her no.'s could be higher in the spring without a worry.

Luck be with you and your girl.

I have a bitch with similar levels...normal, but at the lower end. my vet advised we give her supplemental thyroid to boost fertility ( she had a litter of 10 at age 2 yrs, then 3 misses, so now at nearly 5 yrs, we raised her thyroid level to upper mid range, prebreeding antibiotics, and a surgical AI with fresh semen....we recently had a healthy 7 puppy litter!
I am thrilled with my new babies!

The level is a T4. No, not related to the other bitch at all that had the low level.

I pretty much have 1 shot at getting her pregnant and don't want to miss her. My regular vet is very much opposed to treating her thyroid as it is within normal. I have heard and read that breeding bitches should be at the higher end of normal though.

Maybe I will just bite the bullet and drive the distance and spend the money to take her to the repro vet?

Has anyone used any of the homeopathic thyroid supplements?