Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Self regulating feeder?

I have six, 5 week old pups. Two females are smaller than the other pups, but still a nice weight, activity etc.

One pup (the smaller of the two) seems to have developed a self regulatory feeding style. Because she is the smallest, I started to separate her from the others for some of the meals, and watch her eat. She will eat for a bit, go off and play, eat a little, take a nap, eat a bit, play with me, eat a bit....you get the idea. I was afraid that in the whole gang eating meals, she was not getting enough, even though I give enough at each meal that there was leftovers. I would combine the leftover bowls, leave it in the pen and in the next hour, as pups woke up from the post feeding coma, they finished it off.

The small pup poops and pees fine. She does seem to be a thinker (I am working on not biting fingers, and if I yelp when she does it, she sits, looks at me for awhile. She comes back to me, licks a few times, starts to nibble, but I can see her looking at me as though wondering if "this" (biting) is what made me yelp.

I have never had a self regulating feeder, and was wondering if that kind of style can be seen in such a young pup?