Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Little crust on 2 week old's eye?

This is my first litter and I'm nervous about everything. Pups are 2 weeks old today and I noticed a few eyes beginning to open yesterday. Today one boy has his eyes just open a teeny bit and there was a little yellow crust under one eye. I wiped it this morning and didn't think much of it and now there it is again. A little crust with a tiny goop that I wiped away. I called my vet but she hasn't called me back yet. Is this normal? An eye infection? Entropion?

Re: Little crust on 2 week old's eye?

Signs of a possible infection. If you have some sterile eye wash, you can try that, but when this has happened a couple of times to pups of mine, it took antibiotic ointment to clear it up. Also at two weeks, their eyes should really be open, not just slits.

Consult with your veterinarian and follow her instructions.

MWK

I've never seen it luckily. If I did, I would go to the vet or have her come to me at her availability. Some vets will give you an antibiotic ointment after a call. If things aren't better in 2 to 3 days they want to see the pup. It depends on the vet.

Had that with my last litter. My vet told me to wipe it with saline solution but please talk to your vet (cleared up after a few days). If it's at all swollen then bring in the pup to the vet asap.

My pups eyes usually start to open around 2 weeks and it takes a couple of days to fully open.

I had a yellow crusty eye on a puppy that was less than a week old. I just mentioned it to the vet and she had me see the opthamologist that day. The puppy had e-coli and psuedonomas (sp?) infection that could have cost him his eyesight. We treated him with amox. and I had 3 different solutions/meds for topical. I hope yours is okay.

It was a strange thing to have happen - I guess they can pick it up coming down the birth canal

Wow, I never heard of this. It is interesting and will keep it in mind. Know it can happen with real babys getting infections from birth canal. I would call vet but not take pup in first thing at that age.

Thank you to everyone. I did hear back from my vet. She had me wipe it with saline solution 3x a day. There has been no further discharge. She says not to worry.

I have spoken with five other breeders who say it's very normal for eyes to be just starting to open at 14 days and yes it takes a few days to be fully open. They said they have never had eyes fully open at 13 or 14 days so to the person who said the eyes should be fully open by the 2 week mark you are incorrect so please do not offer that information to anyone else.

I'm glad you spoke with your vet and have a current solution.

I have never seen all litters open their eyes at the same time. It usually happens sometime between day 12 and day 20. Each pup does it at it's own pace. I never touch the eyes even if they're cracking open slower. Never! Some do. When I told my veterinary opthamalogist he was upset by it. He doesn't charge to take a quick look at a pup if he's their doing ACVO's at 8 weeks. He made it clear that he doesn't expect the breeder to touch the opening eyes.

Not all pups have open eyes at 2 weeks. Listen to your vet. Remember, those embryos can float for quite some time and some implant sooner or later than others.

Some can all open at 2 weeks, not usually in my litters. I have had many of mine not open until closer to 3 weeks. ACVO exams have always fine at 8 weeks.

For those of you jumping on me for questioning eyes not open at 2 weeks, my veterinarian has told me if they aren't more than a slit by 2 weeks there may be an issue. I did tell the poster to contact her veterinarian because there could be a problem.

She did talk to her doc and the issue is resolved.

MWK

My pups' eyes have never been open by 14 days, and typically 15-21 days is my experience. Haven't seen the crustys, but nice to know about the saline solution just in case...

I agree with the folks who said "don't touch them". Let nature take her course on this one.

Glad to hear you seem to have it under control.

Congrats on your babies!!

Saline, outside the eye is a benign, safe substance. I wouldn't want more than a couple of droplets going inside the eye if at all. A really small amount on sterile, cotton balls or sterile, small gauze would work for me. I wonder if the OP's vet mentioned what to apply the saline with? If not, maybe asking is a good idea.

Once opened saline should be refrigerated but read the bottle or container. After - amount of days, I suggest not keeping it even after refrigeration.

The saline will not remain sterile once opened past 24 hours in the refrig. Saline is sold in various quantity containers, filled syringes or sterile wipes for uses such as eyes or other small areas. The vet would be the best person to tell you if the pup needs sterile saline or it doesn't matter if it's no longer sterile after opened over 24 hours.
There are many medical links I can post but this describes it best for everyone, it's basic but accurate.
http://ask.bmezine.com/2008/08/17/saline-solution

P.S. OP and others, I'm not trying to add to any confusion for you with your first litter, God Bless them or anyone using saline.

The saline information is actually for you and any one else that might need to use saline for dogs or people.

Years ago, 1 liter bottles were used in all types of medical settings sometimes for weeks after being opened and not kept chilled. They don't do that anymore.

I posted basic saline information but suggest any one with questions speak to the vet or medical doctor.

Have lots of fun with your pups! The best is ahead.