Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bark Deterrents

I have been researching bark deterrents lately and I have become more confused now then from before I started. All the reviews are so mixed. Which ones work for your dogs? Thank you.

Re: Bark Deterrents

Put the dogs inside.

that is not what she asked for so why did you feel the need to be sarcastic? Just because you could?

I wasn't being sarcastic. I've tried everything, and the only thing that has worked consistently is to put the barking dogs in.

Dogs bark inside too.

I am a firm believer in the ecollar, notnso much in the actual Bark Collar.

Bark collars zap the dog when it barks or it yelps (or Amy other nearby dog barks). Said dog yelps, it gets zapped, it yelps because it got zapped, it yelps again. Some dogs get into a screaming fit because they can notbfigure it out.

An ecollar allows the human (hopefulyntrainedvwith ecollars and a rational person) to control/distinguish between a frighten yelp, or an obnoxious bark, or any other loud noise/bark. Of cours a human has tobe present and watching in order for it to work.

I find bark collars work quite well but only when the dogs are actually wearing them! I wish they would actually teach the offender to stop barking at all times! They do not zap nearby dogs - they only zap the dog that is wearing the collar. I have only had experience with one dog that could not wear one. He would yell every time he got zapped causing the collar to zap him again. It was really pathetic . I had to remove the collar which was difficult to do on a dog that was yelling and being zapped. All other dogs however have been fine with them. I have found that a bark collar on the loud mouth in the kennel keeps the others quiet to for the most part. A collar on the barker for a few hours in the day that they offend the most is a good thing.They will usually remember and be quiet for a day or two after a day with the collar on.
I have also tried the bark boxes that you hang nearby. They are supposed to make an unpleasant sound that all dogs will hear and thus stop barking. My experience with these is that they do not work at all!
Please excuse miss spellings and typos. I am using my IPad and it just loves to change words on me!

that is not what she asked for so why did you feel the need to be sarcastic? Just because you could?

Same here, just b/c they could? I don't beleive the reply, they were being sarcastic.

Untrained dogs do bark indoors too. I work with my pups from < 8 weeks. No barking for no reason. Bark for the hell of it, you get a correction. No barking in a crate either or I use a water pistol after a firm no twice. That is not cruel. I love my dogs and would never harm them.

If the doorbell rings or someone knocks on the door, they can bark up to thrice. When I say *stop* they all stop.

Train your dogs from the time they're young pups and you won't wind up in that situation. If you can't get them trained properly, something is wrong with the genetics in your line or you don't know how to train a dog. Get a trainer or give up on the easy to train breed of Labradors.

WE are their masters or mistresses and they listen to us and love us, dontcha think? I love them too.

i have also learned during the years that its the situation when the dog barks that has to be attended to and no use of any equipment needed, no bark collars and electric collars forbidden in finland. so here is a good idea to start from early age to say no...here we share the house/home with our dogs so it makes it easier.
best from ritva in finland

took it the same

Untrained dogs do bark indoors too. I work with my pups from < 8 weeks. No barking for no reason. Bark for the hell of it, you get a correction. No barking in a crate either or I use a water pistol after a firm no twice. That is not cruel. I love my dogs and would never harm them.

If the doorbell rings or someone knocks on the door, they can bark up to thrice. When I say *stop* they all stop.

Train your dogs from the time they're young pups and you won't wind up in that situation. If you can't get them trained properly, something is wrong with the genetics in your line or you don't know how to train a dog. Get a trainer or give up on the easy to train breed of Labradors.

WE are their masters or mistresses and they listen to us and love us, dontcha think? I love them too.

REALLY! While in philosophy I may agree, that is not what the OP was asking. Get a grip, and be nice!!!!

Bark buster
I have been researching bark deterrents lately and I have become more confused now then from before I started. All the reviews are so mixed. Which ones work for your dogs? Thank you.

Below are articles and books addressing how to understand and to deter unwanted barking:

www.clickertraining.com/node/1125 by Melissa Alexander

www.wagntrain.com/barking.htm by Stacy Braslau-Schneck

The Barking Stops Here by Terry Ryan (which you can purchase at www.Dogwise.com)

Barking: the Sound of Language by Turid Rugaas (which you can purchase at www.Dogwise.com)