Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
broken tooth/showing

I have a 2 yr old boy who has broken off one of his upper canine teeth...the "stump" is about 1/4", not discolored, no apparent pain. I plan to show it to my vet next time I go, but wondered others experience with this?

He is a CH, major pointed for his GRCH, I had one judge complain about it....seems this should not be held against him; it's not missing, just damaged. They should be judging for breeding quality, I believe.

Re: broken tooth/showing

Ch Rocheby Rainmaker, Monty, broke his upper canine in the same way and he finished his championship with no problem. A broken tooth is not a bad bite. Monty broke his on a knuckle bone.

That was my idea too, as my boy got BOB, a 5 pt major one day, and the next day, the judge pointed out his broken tooth, and dumped him.
Oh well, that's show biz I suppose!

You can be dismissed for capping the tooth, but it was my understanding that you should not be dismissed because of a broken tooth. Capping is a cosmetic procedure that is not allowed; filing down is ok;

I guess if a judge is splitting hairs, the dog with the broken tooth will be overlooked. I guess you could have the AKC rep about this, at least he or she could have spoken to the judge about it. That was just not fair.

I have a girl who broke one of her upper scissor so there is only a small stump left. I have a veterinary certificate from my vet stating that she was born with full dentition but lost her tooth due to an accident while playing as a young puppy. That has not been any problems at all at shows... she's done some very nice things in the show ring. Good luck!!

I had this happen and the dog got a root canal so the tooth would not be damaged further. I checked and this was allowed where capping it would not be allowed. The dog is major pointed and got the pts after the root canal.

My CH Ali, got almost all her points including majors after she broke a tooth playing tug with a stick with her 1/2 sister. In fact she got a major the next day after she broke the tooth. I had a couple of judges ask me what happened but it didn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks for posting this question.

I have an 8-yr old Veteran who I want to show soon and was not sure if it would be an embarrassment/ insult to the Judge with both of his canines broken off bottom 25%.

Still nice and white and he loves to show.

Encouraged to have the fun.