Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Info re puppies at Danville, PA, SPCA

As promised, I stopped in. I had 2 more phone call this morning about the puppies, people wondering if I'm the breeder fostering the puppies.

I asked for the supervisor on duty, but not available. So I explained to the young woman at the desk who I was and why I was asking about the puppies.

What I'm told is, yes, it's true 19 Labrador puppies were found dumped along a road. They look to be from 2 different litters. The Danville SPCA is handling 9 of the puppies (blacks, yellows and one chocolate) and another shelter is handling the other ten. The 9 that Danville is responsible for will be back from fostering on Monday the 19th, at which time they will be available for adoption through the Danville SPCA. The other puppies, through the other shelter, will be available next month.

Confirmed, Danville SPCA is a no-kill shelter.

They expected to be swamped with calls for the puppies next Monday, so they will have a recording answering the phone.

Unfortunately, the Danville SPCA no longer has the policy to not adopt during/between the holidays. I explained about discouraging impulse adoption for under the tree, and the young woman says she wishes they could have that policy, but they will adopting out during that time.

She nicely thanked me for getting the correct information out about the puppies.

Re: Info re puppies at Danville, PA, SPCA

Thanks so much for following up and clarifying everything, hopefully all will work out for those poor pups.

I was running late for work already, so didn't take time to ask how they will be handling the adoptions since they won't be answering the phone that day (although I am curious). I'm guessing, show up in person soon as they open with the adoption fee and first come, first serve??

Any news on this ? I have clients here that tried to inquire and the shelter has not returned any calls. They are from Wilkes Barre. Any info appreciated.

The older litter, of 9, should be available for adoption tomorrow (Monday the 19th) at the Danville SPCA. I don't know what time they open up, but I'm assuming it's first come first serve. They won't be answering the phone since they expect they would be swamped with calls for the puppies. I was told on the 13th they will have a recording picking up on Monday.

The litter of nine was being fostered by a local small no-kill rescue group, not a breeder.

Didn't ask which shelter had the younger litter of 10, but was told they won't be old enough to leave until sometime in January.

I did talk to the dog warden this past week because we were thinking of offering a reward for information leading to the conviction of who ever dumped the puppies. He told me these types of cases are very hard to get a conviction, even when there is an eye witness (possibly having seen a vehicle dumping the puppies for example, or even a lead by say a neighbor who knew their neighbor had 19 puppies one day and the next day were gone) as it comes down to he said/she said type of thing with the accused denying it (which seems hard to comprehend, I know), he said the best chance is when he (the dog warden) is the actual witness. Anyway, he told me the puppies were found in the woods in a box or crate, covered up, left not far off Rt. 54 in the Centralia / Atlas area (which was coal country). Thinks they might have been found by a hunter. He was not involved when the puppies were turned in, he wasn't called by the SPCA... first he heard about it was from someone on the street and then my phone call left on his voicemail.

Update, Monday morning. Just called the SPCA. Per recording, now calling them "Lab mix" puppies, will be ready on Dec. 22, SPCA open at 11 a.m., adoption $200, first come first serve basis.

Thanks Val I will relay...

Just drove past the SPCA at 10:45 a.m. (Thursday) and the parking lot was jammed packed, at least 15 people lined up at front door waiting for SPCA to open. Never saw that before.

Hope they really are all appropriate homes for Labrador puppies, but I don't think SPCA really does any screening.