Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Dentition Database for OFA - just saw this on their website

New Dentition Database

At the request of the American Rottweiler Club, the OFA has developed a new dentition database. The database is used to certify full dentition and is open to all breeds. Any attending veterinarian may perform the examination. There is no minimum age, however, prior to certification, all adult teeth must be fully erupted. The database is intended to certify that all adult teeth are fully erupted and present. It is not intended to certify compliance with any specific breed’s standard.

Re: New Dentition Database for OFA - just saw this on their website

Thanks for the information, but it seems like OFA is turning into a clearing house? Seems a bit over the top to me.

OFA has been a clearing house/repository for health data for a long time. When they started issuing "certificates" for health issues they don't evaluate themselves, they became a place to store your information (for a price!!).

This database was meant to be used mostly for Rotti breeders. It is open for all breeds and it is to be used for each breed/breeder as it considers it relevant for its program.

you should be happy that there is a place that is trustworthy to look up information that has been stored for us that is important to our breeding decisions. Its free to those searching..........

Interesting that the Rottie people asked for this. I had a young lab to my obedience club about 15 years ago and a Rottie breeder pointed out that he was missing teeth. Her exact words were, "Don't double on that. They multliply."

Breeder
Interesting that the Rottie people asked for this. I had a young lab to my obedience club about 15 years ago and a Rottie breeder pointed out that he was missing teeth. Her exact words were, "Don't double on that. They multliply."

It must be that Rottie people like to grow out of genetic issues instead of hiding their heads under the sand.

There aren't are more or less missing teeth now than 25 years ago.

So, what is the mode of inheritance?

Really old timer
There aren't are more or less missing teeth now than 25 years ago.

I would be interested in hearing how you arrived at this conclusion and whether it extends to the entire Lab population or just your lines.

I've always had full dentition here until I bred to a dog w/ missing teeth and at least one pup in the litter that stayed local was also missing premolar. A few years later, I bred another girl with full dentition to a stud and my keeper is missing a premolar (she'll be my first w/o full dentition in almost 20 yrs). Kind of surprised me at the time. I assumed the dog had full dentition and never thought to ask, but looked to see if there was any notation on the stud's website since they typically did note when it was "full dentition". No note of such. ;) So based on this, I'd guess it only takes one parent to produce.