Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fromm Foods for dogs

Is anyone using Fromm dog foods, which kind and how are the dogs doing on it? TIA

Re: Fromm Foods for dogs

I tried the duck and sweet potato. Never again! Horrible coats and weight loss.

I feed my dogs the Fromm's Grain Free Surf and Turf. Love it! Great coats, don't have to feed much because most of it is metabolically useable when digesting, which means less poop to scoop! The down side- it's pretty pricey. But, I recently found an online supplier that delivers and still costs quite a bit less per bag than I've been paying at my local specialty pet shop.

I tried the Adult Gold formula and it didn't work well with my dogs. Their coats didn't look good and I had trouble maintaining their weight. Not all foods work well for every dog--I know people who have used Fromm with success. I switched my dogs to a different brand and I'm now pleased.

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at the Salmon a la Veg. higher protein/fat and the ingredients are amazing. You're right, not all foods work for all dogs. Anyone else that has or is using it, would appreciate any more information.

We started feeding Fromm Classic Adult over a year ago, our dogs have held weight fine on it. Our first litter we raised on it did great, was a litter of 11 raised on Fromm Puppy Gold. Also tried the Breeder Bags of Adult Gold.

You would just have to try it and see how your dogs do on it. They do have breeder bags, you would need to check to see which ones you can get in breeder bags.

I fed the salmon and veg-could not keep weight on and coats went off. One of my puppy people feeds it-out of all the puppies (12) he is 15-20 lbs lighter than all siblings-even his vet told the owner the dog needs to gain at least 10 lbs.

We have used the Salmon A la Veg, Chicken A la Veg, Surf and Turf, and the Whitefish and Sweet Potato for a few years. The Chicken gave our dogs a harder but dry coat. They both gained too much weight on the Surf and Turf so the Salmon has worked well. One was still too heavy on the Salmon so she is on the reduced fat Whitefish and Sweet Potato. When I notice they are getting leaner in the colder weather, I add some Surf and Turf to the Salmon (or the Whitefish for the one who eats that) and they are doing well with good coats. I wish there was a food that had more protein than the Salmon or Chicken (25%, I think) but less than the Surf and Turf (30%). I've looked at other foods like Annamaet, Pinnacle, Go! and Nutrisource but for now I'm pretty happy with the Fromm. Seems to be a good quality food in the middle of the price range. My dogs did not do well on Innova or Acana but those were highly recommended.

What is Fromm foods? This is the first time I've heard of it.

I am using the Fromm Gold and absolutely love it !

Tried a full blown trial of a food once. 2 dogs did not do well at all, 4 dogs showed no improvement nor did any worse, only 2 did well with it.

Not all your dogs will do equally well on a given food. I would say, try it, and see for yourself. There are lots of ways to determine if dog food is good, bad or indifferent.