Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Questions about whelping fleece

Hope someone can give some input on whelping fleece. I have searched the forum several times and read all of the posts about the topic and looked at the links, but still have a couple of questions.

I am in the market for more whelping blankets. I have two pads that I bought at a show that I really like. They are a flat berber type on one side, and fabric on the other.They are just a few inches short of what I need for the size of my box, which is 50 x 50 and bottomless, so I always have to worry about them slipping out. I wanted some that are at least 60 x 60 or even 70 x 70. Most of the pads I have found at that size (if they can be found at all) at really high. While I know that is a good investment, I really need several more. I have read the posts about using towels sewn together, but don't want the puppies' nails getting caught in the terry cloth.

Here is my question: Are the pads most of you using made of 100% polyester? Is that what makes them "wick away moisture"? Is there some difference between those and simple polyester fleece I might be able to get by the roll at the fabric store? Jonart advertises "veterinary fleece" - but why? How is that fabric different from what you can buy at the fabric store?

I thought of making some myself, as I do sew.

My goal was one solid piece, of course, so that puppies do not get under it.

I was really surprised that so many of the whelping pads out there seem to be available mainly for much smaller boxes.

Any responses appreciated!

Re: Questions about whelping fleece

Not all fleece is permeable. Some beads up the moisture, and that you DON'T want for the whelping box as the top layer, as the pups will be soaked and urine scalded. I found that out when given some lovely blankets to use in the box. I would have been better off with newspaper, which I hate to use, unless it is noncoated (matte not magazine shiny finish) , blank, white newsprint paper. The gifts went to the big dogs, and I bought more of the vet fleece, or whelping box fleece. I love the fleece rolls with rubber back, unless the bitch is one who likes to chew rubber, and not at the point where she is digging and covering pups. This fleece is thin and gives good traction. As for towels, if you are clipping the nails every few days, I don't see a problem. Or buy the sheared towels, like velour only cotton.

The larger the single piece, the more expensive it is.
You might want to try bathmats, rubberized on the back and tite carpet like on the side the pups are on. You could sew two together with a heavy gauge machine. I find lying them edge to edge works fine or hand sewing them tightly together with a thick thread. I leave no room for anything to catch inbetween.

EzWhelp has some good pads that aren't expensive and I use inexpensive, thin fleece throws on top of the bathmats too.

Be creative. I've seen many breeders make things from nothing that work terrific.

You can also buy entire rolls of fleece for the whelping box in white and cut the length of 60 or 70 inches you want. The width I buy sometimes is 6 feet so it's 72 inches. 72 x 72 should work fine for your set up. I don't think what I buy is polyester and it sure doesn't bead on the top.

Durawhelp pads are good too. http://www.breederbase.com/whelpingbox/whelpingpads.htm

Shop further, you'll find what you need.

Thanks for your response, Charlotte K. That was my thinking - that they are not all the same. I did not think about the velour towels - thanks for that reminder. I will look for some of those.

Thank you size. Good idea about bathmats. Maybe it would work to lay those down and then put the large one piece thin fleece over that, coming out each side of the dog box.

Really curious - where are you finding the roll fleece in that width? A local store in your area or online? I have not been able to find it wider than 60".

I am looking at the pads on the link you sent, as well as the Jonart, etc. I am going to invest in some of those, but did not want to get more than one right now, and wanted back ups in something else (a creative idea until I can invest in something else.

My whelping box is 4'x6' and I have gotten my fleece from Val Cartwright. She usually has a booth at the Potomac and usually has a roll with her that you can buy by the yard. I think you can get in touch with her at (330)722-2445.

Thank you, Beth! I will give her a call.

Just a reminder.. whatever size fleece you buy, might want to make sure it will fit in your wash machine.

Best of luck!

I buy sherpa fleece by the yard at the fabric store.
1.5 yards will fit under my 4' x4' whelping box - it has no bottom either.I use this fleece with towels underneath it. This fleece is typically $10 - $12/yard, not too thick and fits easily in the washer with a couple towels.

Fleece, are you buying it from a chain fabric store, do you know if it is the 100% polyester stuff? I am driving over tomorrow to look (I am in a rural area) so hopefully can find it what you are talking about.

Anon, you are right about fitting the washer/dryer. We do have big front loaders, and I think I will be fine.

Thanks for the answers everyone! Very helpful.