Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
never let your dog lead

You must never let your dog lead you while walking. It will make the dog think that he/she is more superior than the owner. This is Poodle Training.

Re: never let your dog lead

Hello, I think you have the wrong forum. This is for LABRADOR RETRIEVERS. Not Poodles or even Labradoodles. My dogs love going out for walks ahead of me and when they show in the ring, they trot out ahead of me and it looks nice and showy. At home they are well-behaved and know I am the pack leader. Go spam another board!

I too have no problems with my dogs in front of me. In fact, I prefer them there, so that I can see them. That's the magic of labs...get them trained, and once they understand who's in charge, you don't have to play all those stupid dominance games. Mine get on the furniture, are out the door before me, eat before me, but know their place in the pack when it counts.

There must be something wrong with my Lab then, as well as the Lab and the Siberian mix we had before him. The all walk(ed) ahead of us on, with just enough tension on the leash to keep it from dragging on the ground and sometimes walk(ed) through doors ahead of me. Heck, when we hike with our current Lab, he wears a tracking harness and walks ahead of us, and somehow manages to listen to us when we want or need him to be at our sides.